Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pollack / modern art thread

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

was deleted?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I think that thread got off to a bad start and went downhill. I pm'd zooby that he can start another similar thread if he'd like. I think that one was a lost cause.

I can import posts from the deleted thread into the new one, if you'd like your posts moved. As a matter of fact you can start the thread if you'd like.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  4. Nov 19, 2007 #3

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

I posted in it quite recently, did the deletion have anything to do with my post? Was it offensive or indecipherable, both?

5. Nov 19, 2007 #4

Evo

Not at all. After several attempts to get it back on track, it kept going downhill.

6. Nov 19, 2007 #5

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

ok, thanks. Sorry about the thread, it was interesting.

7. Nov 22, 2007 #6
    Evo is right. It was stupid. Fun, but stupid. It should have just been locked though, not deleted.

8. Dec 15, 2007 #7
    I wondered what happened to it--I think that was one of the last ones before the 'flu', etc. Hmmmm---how far did it derail?

9. Dec 15, 2007 #8

Evo

Enough.

10. Dec 15, 2007 #9
    even for GD?----

my, my, MY

11. Dec 15, 2007 #10

Evo

I drove past this the other day, turns out the taxpayers paid $100,000.00 for this hideous monstrosity to be erected on a street corner. The picture is poor quality and you can't tell how poorly constructed this mess is, rivets and weld marks showing. It's huge, hideous, an abomination, but that's just my opinion. :eek: I'm embarrassed of it. Up close, it looks like someone banged out a bunch of old car hoods, spray painted them bright blue then welded them together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  12. Dec 15, 2007 #11
    it looks like a type of cactus

DID YOU FIND YOUR /(his) CAMERA????!!!!

13. Dec 15, 2007 #12

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Years ago, after demolishing the WWII era Quonset hut that had served as the Admin building. Oregon State U was in the process of turning the opened up land into a parking lot. Student protest (Did I say this was '71? ) Saved a nice plot which became known as The Peoples Park. When I got there in '74, it was a small but nicely groomed park with just enough trees to provide some solitude from the adjacent busy walkways. The fact that this quiet little park was right across the street from the Physics Dept meant that over the years it was one of my favorite lunch on a sunny day spots.

Well about '77 or '78 someone donated a absolutely hideous psychedelic painted right triangle about 6' x 10' (just approximate guys pick some numbers in that range that work!) Seems that there is a law somewhere saying that if someone donates a sculpture to the University, the University MUST display it. Well, since no one that mattered wanted anything to do with the sculpture, it got parked in that quite secluded corner of campus called Peoples Park. I had to share my meditation grove with this monstrosity until I left OSU in 1988.

As an update the whole area has become a huge student residence building. My park is gone. Sorry no pics.

14. Dec 15, 2007 #13
  15. Dec 15, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't mind the blue cactus thing either (I think I'm finding out recently that Cyrus and I have similar taste in sculptures). I'm sure the hirshhorn thing will be very nice once they finish building it too. :uhh: :biggrin: (It looks like a pile of steel beams waiting to be assembled into a building.)

16. Dec 16, 2007 #15
    The more someone gets 'into' art, the more 'popular' forms (realism, for example) may become more common and less interesting. 'New' or different becomes more interesting--the one problem there, I see, is that sometimes, 'new'/'different' can be sometimes over hyped and given more attention/over-praised for its peculiarity rather than its importance/beauty.

Realism is generally accepted by many due to the basic idea that it is 'recognizable'--a painting of a cow doesn't require much thought. Pollack's work was a step in the progression that had been going on for a while, and was (and is) accepted as that 'next' step in that specific area of the 'the artistic expression'.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  17. Dec 16, 2007 #16

Evo

It's not a cactus, it's a "dance". :uhh: That's a picture before they landscaped around it. I'll see if I can find my camera and get a better picture of it.

And the picture makes it look a LOT better than it looks in person.

18. Dec 16, 2007 #17

turbo

Gold Member

19. Dec 16, 2007 #18
    It looks more like a prickly pear cactus than a duck---but a name is a name is a name. --dance is a nice name---better than 'NUCLEAR HOLOCOST'

20. Dec 16, 2007 #19

Evo

21. Dec 16, 2007 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Well, the sculptor who built the stainless-steel "whirligig" for Waterville put over 1600 hours into the project, and assuming he's not working for peanuts, that is one expensive monstrosity. I don't know how much they paid for it, but it was too much. U.G.L.Y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?