Why is Pollack's art considered 'schizophrenic' compared to Kandinsky's?

• Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art Thread
In summary: It doesn't always require 'comprehension' or 'understanding', which may be a problem for some people. It can be a little too difficult, at times, for the casual viewer.In summary, the sculpture was donated by an anonymous person and was supposed to be displayed in Peoples Park, but it was eventually moved to its current location. It is an ugly, psychedelic painted triangle. It is not well constructed and is a problem for the students living near it.
Ewwwww...that chicken is terrible! There is nothing creative about a big chicken.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Actully the blue thing "represents" a dance, the title of the sculpture is "shim, sham, shimmy", it's not by Pollock, it's by some guy in Texas.

Yes, I didn't think the blue sculpture was by Pollock, nor do I know who made the big chicken, sorry if I was confusing by trying to say too much and link it all together. Thanks for the extra info on the 'shim, sham, shimmy', not that it has illuminated me much more!

Cyrus said:
Ewwwww...that chicken is terrible! There is nothing creative about a big chicken.

Personally, I think it is delightful when animals are honourably represented, and also funny when done incongurously. A big metallic chicken in the midst of the French countryside is unexpectedly bizarre, and so unlike usual views of chickens that are fairly mundane, soft, little creatures, synonomous with cowardice and sillyness. On a similar note, but moving away from sculpture, I also like the gorilla playing the drums with so much character in the Cadbury advertisemnent, and I recently saw this and thought it was sweet and hysterical.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that I don't like or appreciate Pollack's works, it's that I like other works more. A lot of 'jokes' were made about Pollack's work, as there has been about a lot of other 'art' that has been made and/or exhibited.

Do I have anything like Pollack's work hanging in my house?--no. Would I put the chicken, or the cactus in my yard? Well, I put the cactus in first about 100 times over the chicken, but that's from many, many years of dealing in one way or another with art, and I have a different appreciation for art that some others may have.

I'm with fi, the chicken rules!

Evo said:

Roosters rule!

I'm going to start a thread (one of these days) about "ART"----sometime, after I get rid of these aches and have a clear head (a clear head in a couple of aspects)

rewebster said:
It's not that I don't like or appreciate Pollack's works, it's that I like other works more. A lot of 'jokes' were made about Pollack's work, as there has been about a lot of other 'art' that has been made and/or exhibited.

Do I have anything like Pollack's work hanging in my house?--no. Would I put the chicken, or the cactus in my yard? Well, I put the cactus in first about 100 times over the chicken, but that's from many, many years of dealing in one way or another with art, and I have a different appreciation for art that some others may have.

I was being one-sided about things I think are interesting about Pollock's works, I have some problems with his work too.
Evo said:

rewebster said:
Roosters rule!

Sweet!
rewebster said:
I'm going to start a thread (one of these days) about "ART"----sometime, after I get rid of these aches and have a clear head (a clear head in a couple of aspects)
I look forward to it, hope you feel better.

Last edited:
can someone move this to GD?

----------------

who moved this (so graciously)?

Last edited:
Sorry, its just a big metal chicken. That is something anyone could make and takes little/no imagination. You just look and say, "oh, its a big metal chicken"...

Rooster-Print-C10281726.jpe

Picasso rooster (not chicken)

rewebster said:
Rooster-Print-C10281726.jpe

Picasso rooster (not chicken)
That's beautiful.

yes--simple, but not too simple

I love the lines, I can feel the lightness of the strokes that were delivered quickly and with confidence. I like that feeling from a picture.

Last edited:
I like the picture of the rooster. But I don't like that big metal monstrosity.

These make me feel like I am looking into a diseased mind. Dark, oppressive, angry, inability to separate their thoughts into meaning, it's a jumble of fragments of thought, failing to deliver a coherent thought.

The Kandinsky seems to show more control of his thoughts. The term I'd use for Pollock's paintings would be "schizophrenic art".

Evo said:
These make me feel like I am looking into a diseased mind. Dark, oppressive, angry, inability to separate their thoughts into meaning, it's a jumble of fragments of thought, failing to deliver a coherent thought.

The Kandinsky seems to show more control of his thoughts. The term I'd use for Pollock's paintings would be "schizophrenic art".

A lot of artists are a little 'off'---some more than others----why would some of the 'first' ones crawl 2 miles into a dark cave to 'scribble' on the ceiling?

<h2>1. Why is Pollack's art considered 'schizophrenic' compared to Kandinsky's?</h2><p>Pollack's art is considered 'schizophrenic' compared to Kandinsky's because his paintings often lack a clear subject or focal point, and instead consist of chaotic and seemingly random lines and splatters. This can be interpreted as a reflection of the disorganized and fragmented thought processes associated with schizophrenia.</p><h2>2. Is there any evidence that Pollack had schizophrenia?</h2><p>There is no evidence that Pollack had schizophrenia. While his art may be considered 'schizophrenic' in style, there is no indication that he suffered from the disorder himself. Pollack struggled with alcoholism and emotional instability, but there is no evidence to suggest that he had schizophrenia.</p><h2>3. How does Kandinsky's art differ from Pollack's in terms of style?</h2><p>Kandinsky's art is characterized by bold, geometric shapes and vibrant colors, often representing spiritual or emotional themes. In contrast, Pollack's art is more abstract and lacks a clear subject, with an emphasis on the physical act of painting rather than symbolic representation.</p><h2>4. Are there any other artists whose work is considered 'schizophrenic'?</h2><p>Yes, there are other artists whose work has been described as 'schizophrenic', such as Vincent van Gogh and Salvador Dali. However, it is important to note that these labels are often subjective and based on personal interpretations of the art, rather than a diagnosis of the artist's mental health.</p><h2>5. How has the perception of Pollack's art evolved over time?</h2><p>Pollack's art was initially met with controversy and criticism, with many viewing it as chaotic and meaningless. However, over time, his work has come to be appreciated for its unique style and influence on the abstract expressionist movement. Today, Pollack is recognized as one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.</p>

1. Why is Pollack's art considered 'schizophrenic' compared to Kandinsky's?

Pollack's art is considered 'schizophrenic' compared to Kandinsky's because his paintings often lack a clear subject or focal point, and instead consist of chaotic and seemingly random lines and splatters. This can be interpreted as a reflection of the disorganized and fragmented thought processes associated with schizophrenia.

2. Is there any evidence that Pollack had schizophrenia?

There is no evidence that Pollack had schizophrenia. While his art may be considered 'schizophrenic' in style, there is no indication that he suffered from the disorder himself. Pollack struggled with alcoholism and emotional instability, but there is no evidence to suggest that he had schizophrenia.

3. How does Kandinsky's art differ from Pollack's in terms of style?

Kandinsky's art is characterized by bold, geometric shapes and vibrant colors, often representing spiritual or emotional themes. In contrast, Pollack's art is more abstract and lacks a clear subject, with an emphasis on the physical act of painting rather than symbolic representation.

4. Are there any other artists whose work is considered 'schizophrenic'?

Yes, there are other artists whose work has been described as 'schizophrenic', such as Vincent van Gogh and Salvador Dali. However, it is important to note that these labels are often subjective and based on personal interpretations of the art, rather than a diagnosis of the artist's mental health.

5. How has the perception of Pollack's art evolved over time?

Pollack's art was initially met with controversy and criticism, with many viewing it as chaotic and meaningless. However, over time, his work has come to be appreciated for its unique style and influence on the abstract expressionist movement. Today, Pollack is recognized as one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.