Polling place photo project

• News
  • Thread starter physics girl phd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photo Project
In summary, The New York Times is collecting photos of polling places from the 2008 presidential election and is inviting others to do the same. However, photography of polling places is subject to state and local laws, and it is important to ask for permission and be respectful when taking photos. In some states, taking photos inside polling places may be illegal, so it is important to check local laws before doing so. Videotaping is generally not allowed at polling places, except for general news coverage of candidates and public officials voting.
physics girl phd
The New York Times is collecting polling place photos from the 2008 presidential election.
http://pollingplaces.nytimes.com/
Think it would be possible for us to do the same?

Special Notes:
"Photography of polling places is governed by state and local law — there is no one answer for what is permissible." Ask if you're allowed to take photos, and be respectful: do not include people in your photos if you haven't asked their permission.

I'll post ours here tomorrow, and I invite you to do the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it is illegal in Alabama, as it should be.

Great idea, dr-pg, I'll try to remember my camera!

Pictures outside polling places are apparently no problem. Photographing lines and placards doesn't seem to be any problem at all. But there is some question about taking pictures inside polling places. This varies state to state.

If anyone in intending to do so, I would caution not to use a flash or generally draw attention to yourself, like wearing your SLR around your neck, if you are not going to check your local laws or enforcement policies first.

hmm, according to the AG's site it's a bit ambiguous.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/contact_faqs.cfm

Can someone videotape at the polls?
No. General news coverage of candidates and public officials voting and of crowds at the polling place is allowed, but the U.S. Department of Justice has expressed a concern that other videotaping may intimidate voters and it is not allowed.​

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the "Polling Place Photo Project"?

The Polling Place Photo Project is an initiative that encourages people to take pictures of their local polling places on Election Day and share them on social media. It aims to document the diversity of polling places across the country and promote civic engagement.

How did the "Polling Place Photo Project" start?

The project was started in 2006 by a group of volunteers who wanted to create an online gallery of polling place photos. Since then, it has grown to become a popular social media campaign during election seasons.

Why is the "Polling Place Photo Project" important?

The project serves as a reminder of the importance of voting and showcases the diversity of polling places across the country. It also encourages civic engagement and promotes transparency in the election process.

How can I participate in the "Polling Place Photo Project"?

To participate, simply take a photo of your local polling place on Election Day and share it on social media using the hashtag #PollingPlacePhoto. You can also submit your photo to the official website for inclusion in the online gallery.

What are the guidelines for taking photos for the "Polling Place Photo Project"?

The project encourages participants to take photos that are respectful and non-partisan. It is also important to follow all rules and regulations at your polling place and to not interfere with the voting process while taking photos.