Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polluting Batteries

1. Sep 16, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

The things that power all your mobile devices and remeber all your data when the mains go down, the most polluting thing ever invented, not only enviromentaly but soccialably, they intrude into ones every move, taxes should be diverted from autos to batteries, apart from those powering medical devices.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I take it that you just had a battery go dead?

4. Sep 16, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Nay lass, i have one in my car and one in my cell phone, i do not even use my cell phone, i have candles in case of a power cut, oh how i wish for a total power cut, maybe then people could actually talk to one another.

5. Sep 16, 2006 #4

Evo

Well, without at least a battery backup, we couldn't talk. :wink:

6. Sep 16, 2006 #5

Mk

I just went out and bought one so Evo and I could talk. :devil: :smile:

7. Sep 16, 2006 #6

Evo

heheh I can talk your ear off.

8. Sep 16, 2006 #7

wolram

Gold Member

But would you talk so face to face? i find that people are inept at withdrawing the telling bone from the ear hole and using natural vocal
    comunication.

9. Sep 16, 2006 #8

Evo

Unless something has upset me, I'm very talkative. If I'm quiet, you know that something is wrong.

10. Sep 16, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Oh how i know this to the nth degree, the situation should not arise if two are attuned.

11. Sep 16, 2006 #10
    Cell phones are bad, bad things, but I talk to people face to face alot everyday and it can be pretty bad. Last night I had to escape from a guy who wanted to tell me all about the wonderful reptiles and tarantulas he kept as pets.

12. Sep 17, 2006 #11
    Speaking of batteries....

Yesterday I tossed a battery onto my desk and then a few seconds later I look at it and it's smoking :eek:

Turns out I tossed it onto a quarter, which just barely connected the two terminals... My room smelled bad for a few minutes... Yay for shorting a battery?

13. Sep 17, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

There you go, batteries are a product of the devil and they are every where,
    Just waiting to getcha.

14. Sep 17, 2006 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I read in the candle light, so much nicer and relaxing. Have some Mozart, Vivaldi, Dvorak... in the background. That's my reading environment.

I only use two batteries. The one in my car and in my scooter. I get you can say I also use the ones in my Pocket PC and iPod, but that's it. Oh, and in the remote control... WOW... I use it more than I thought.

15. Sep 17, 2006 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wear a watch? Have a cordless phone/cell-phone? Got a smoke detector? Own a calculator?

16. Sep 17, 2006 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly!

You think you barely used them, but they're everywhere.

17. Sep 17, 2006 #16
    You read by candle light?.....do you want to wear glasses?

18. Sep 17, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Barely use them? I have no such delusions! I have a drawer full of the things, and still seem to always be out of whatever kind I most desperately need when I go looking for one. The Energizer Bunny and I are on a first name basis! :rofl:

19. Sep 17, 2006 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:surprised

I only use AA, AAA and the occasional 9 volt battery.

20. Sep 17, 2006 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Um... I doubt that would ever happen.

I read in a very dim environment. My eyes work just fine. Heck, I can read out of someone else's book 2 seats away!

I also walk around in the dark. I never bother to turn on the lights at night. My girlfriend doesn't like that though.

21. Sep 17, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have an assortment of things with different watch-type batteries...at least now electronic do-dads are starting to get a bit more consistent about using those size 357 ones (or is it 358? I know 'em when I see 'em). Still have flashlights that take C and D batteries, I've lost count of all the AA and AAA batteries. I used to have those more organized...some stuff will only run well with nearly new batteries, but the batteries are still fine for something like a TV remote, so I had two categories of new and used but still good for something batteries. Then there's all the rechargeable batteries in things...camera, iPod, cell phone, cordless phones (don't ask why I have cordless phones and then have one in every room that has a jack :rolleyes:), laptop (2 batteries for that so I always have a backup), cordless drill, :uhh: I think I'll just quit while I'm ahead here. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?