What is the circuit for the Polyfusion Noise Generator?

In summary, the circuit at the given link appears to be a noise generator and analog filter used in a polyphonic Moog music synthesizer. The 3130 component is most likely an old CA3130 op-amp used to amplify thermal noise from a diode junction. Additional searches suggest that the reference to "Infra Red" may indicate other noise spectra.
fpop
i was wondering if anyone could explain the circuit at he following link
http://www.synthfool.com/schematics/polynoise.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know what the 3130 component is, so I googled the following:

+3130 +generator +ic

and got some hits that might apply. Assuming the 3130 is some kind of noise generator or other waveform generator, the rest of the circuit looks like analog filters to convert the white noise into pink and other noise spectra. The reference to "Infra Red" must be some other noise spectra.

Looks to me like the 3130 is just an op-amp used to amplify the thermal noise(white) of the diode junction. I did a google search and found the following cached site which is no longer in service.
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ff/polyp.htm+"3130+ic"&hl=en&client=firefox-a
It is for a polyphonic Moog music synthesizer. It's a CMOS, OPERATIONAL Amp.

Regards
Don

Last edited by a moderator:
RCA made an op-amp that was a CA3130. I've used it. It's an old part. I'm sure that is what it is. It was an 8 pin DIP which it looks like the one in the link is.

1. What is a Polyfusion Noise Generator?

A Polyfusion Noise Generator is an electronic device that produces a wide range of random noises, often used in scientific research and music production.

2. How does a Polyfusion Noise Generator work?

A Polyfusion Noise Generator uses various electronic components, such as diodes and transistors, to create a continuous stream of random voltage fluctuations, which are then amplified and converted into audible noise.

3. What are the applications of a Polyfusion Noise Generator?

Polyfusion Noise Generators are commonly used in scientific experiments to simulate natural environmental noises, test electronic equipment and measure sound levels. They are also used in music production to create unique sound effects and textures.

4. Can a Polyfusion Noise Generator be used for signal processing?

Yes, a Polyfusion Noise Generator can be used for signal processing. The random noise produced can be used to filter, modulate or distort other signals, adding complexity and character to the processed sound.

5. Are there different types of Polyfusion Noise Generators?

Yes, there are different types of Polyfusion Noise Generators, including white noise, pink noise, and brown noise generators. Each type produces a different distribution of frequencies, making them suitable for different applications.