Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polygamy

1. Dec 9, 2003 #1
    Anything wrong for a man to have 2 wives or more ?
    Is it legal in USA to have >1 wife ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2003 #2
    Yes, I think It's wrong to have 2,3,4 wives or more haha It's already a challenge in itself dealing with one.

Is it legal in USA to have 1 wife? Ummmm..

4. Dec 9, 2003 #3

adrenaline

Science Advisor

I guess there is nothing wrong if the man can support all the children he will sire. A culture that usualy promotes polygamy doesn't usually allow a woman to work. I don't think it is legal in the US but maybe in UTah or one of those states where the Mormons are quite prevalent. Not sure.

5. Dec 9, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's formally illegal. There was a big fight with Utah because LDS(Mormon) theology supported polygamy and there were many important polygamists in the territory before statehood. Abandoning polygamy was the requirement set forth for statehood, and the LDS Church caved in. But not all the Mormons obeyed, and for decades there were hunts for renegade polygamists.

6. Dec 9, 2003 #5
    Oh my gosh. I can just imagine the honeydo lists generated by multiple wives!

7. Dec 9, 2003 #6

LURCH

Science Advisor

I believe the current legal stance of the Mormon church (and all others who practice polygamy for religious reasons) is that, to preserve seperation of church and state, the government may not dictate how many wives a man may have through his church. However, since merriage is also a legal institution recognised by the state, the church cannot tell the state how many wives a man may have under the law.

So religious polygamists marry multiple wives in their churches, and the church recognises all of those marriages, but the state will only certify and recognise one (at a time).

8. Dec 10, 2003 #7
    The Mormon church can and does (in fact quite recently) excommunicate people who exceed the one wife rule. I think they actually look the other way, normally, but if someone makes it well known, they excommunicate.

9. Dec 10, 2003 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have in the past spoken to researchers who study the Mormon population and according to them the Mormons are only allowed to have one wife nowadays, in Utah anyway.

10. Dec 10, 2003 #9
    For evern morman man who has 4 wives, there are 3 others with none. Is this situation fair - where presumable the rich charismatic good looking blokes get many wives where the poor ugly ones get none? What about the children? Do they not deserve a father who can give them much time?

11. Dec 10, 2003 #10
    I believe the mormon church outlawed polygamy as a condition of statehood for Utah back in the 1800's. It's still practiced, but frowned upon by the church. I got this from some mormons.

12. Dec 10, 2003 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, apparently you've never seen real Mormons. The polygamists are invariably grossly obese, sweaty men with unkempt hair and beady eyes. I have no idea why women submit themselves to that kind of situation, but it's certainly not because the men are rich, charismatic, or good looking. (For the record, the women typically aren't lookers either).

- Warren

13. Dec 10, 2003 #12

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A wonderful world

Isn't polygamy also OK according to the Koran?

IIRC, there are (were?) some ethnic groups in Asia (Burma? China) which practiced polyandry (one woman, many husbands).

14. Dec 10, 2003 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: A wonderful world

Is polyandry your idea of a wonderful world? Such creative sexuality is surprisingly common here in California.

I suppose polygamy makes more biological sense than polyandry though -- one man can certain keep five women constantly pregnant -- but five men can still only bear one child by one woman.

So I say I should get to have multiple wives before you get to have multiple husbands. :wink:

- Warren

15. Dec 10, 2003 #14
    Re: Re: A wonderful world

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSH!!! As If Warren...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?