Anything wrong for a man to have 2 wives or more ?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of polygamy and whether it is acceptable for a man to have multiple wives. While some participants believe it is wrong or impractical, others mention the legality of polygamy in the US and its history in the Mormon church. The conversation also touches on the idea of polyandry and its prevalence in some cultures. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a lighthearted debate about the merits of polygamy versus polyandry.
Saint
Is it legal in USA to have >1 wife ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Saint

Yes, I think It's wrong to have 2,3,4 wives or more haha It's already a challenge in itself dealing with one.

Is it legal in USA to have 1 wife? Ummmm..

Originally posted by Saint

I guess there is nothing wrong if the man can support all the children he will sire. A culture that usualy promotes polygamy doesn't usually allow a woman to work. I don't think it is legal in the US but maybe in UTah or one of those states where the Mormons are quite prevalent. Not sure.

It's formally illegal. There was a big fight with Utah because LDS(Mormon) theology supported polygamy and there were many important polygamists in the territory before statehood. Abandoning polygamy was the requirement set forth for statehood, and the LDS Church caved in. But not all the Mormons obeyed, and for decades there were hunts for renegade polygamists.

Oh my gosh. I can just imagine the honeydo lists generated by multiple wives!

I believe the current legal stance of the Mormon church (and all others who practice polygamy for religious reasons) is that, to preserve separation of church and state, the government may not dictate how many wives a man may have through his church. However, since merriage is also a legal institution recognised by the state, the church cannot tell the state how many wives a man may have under the law.

So religious polygamists marry multiple wives in their churches, and the church recognises all of those marriages, but the state will only certify and recognise one (at a time).

The Mormon church can and does (in fact quite recently) excommunicate people who exceed the one wife rule. I think they actually look the other way, normally, but if someone makes it well known, they excommunicate.

I have in the past spoken to researchers who study the Mormon population and according to them the Mormons are only allowed to have one wife nowadays, in Utah anyway.

For evern morman man who has 4 wives, there are 3 others with none. Is this situation fair - where presumable the rich charismatic good looking blokes get many wives where the poor ugly ones get none? What about the children? Do they not deserve a father who can give them much time?

I believe the mormon church outlawed polygamy as a condition of statehood for Utah back in the 1800's. It's still practiced, but frowned upon by the church. I got this from some mormons.

Originally posted by plus
where presumable the rich charismatic good looking blokes get many wives
Heh, apparently you've never seen real Mormons. The polygamists are invariably grossly obese, sweaty men with unkempt hair and beady eyes. I have no idea why women submit themselves to that kind of situation, but it's certainly not because the men are rich, charismatic, or good looking. (For the record, the women typically aren't lookers either).

- Warren

A wonderful world

Isn't polygamy also OK according to the Koran?

IIRC, there are (were?) some ethnic groups in Asia (Burma? China) which practiced polyandry (one woman, many husbands).

Originally posted by Nereid
IIRC, there are (were?) some ethnic groups in Asia (Burma? China) which practiced polyandry (one woman, many husbands).
Is polyandry your idea of a wonderful world? Such creative sexuality is surprisingly common here in California.

I suppose polygamy makes more biological sense than polyandry though -- one man can certain keep five women constantly pregnant -- but five men can still only bear one child by one woman.

So I say I should get to have multiple wives before you get to have multiple husbands. :wink:

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
I get to have multiple wives before you get to have multiple husbands. :wink:

- Warren

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSH! As If Warren...

1. Is polygamy natural or morally acceptable?

Polygamy, the practice of having multiple spouses, has been observed in various cultures and species throughout history. While it may be natural for some individuals, its moral acceptability is subjective and varies depending on cultural and religious beliefs.

2. Are there any health risks associated with having multiple wives?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that having multiple wives poses any health risks. However, having multiple sexual partners may increase the risk of sexually transmitted infections if proper precautions are not taken.

3. Can polygamy lead to inequality and abuse within a marriage?

In polygamous relationships, there is a potential for inequality and abuse due to power imbalances between the spouses. This can be exacerbated if the marriage is not based on mutual respect and consent. However, this is not always the case and it largely depends on the individuals involved.

4. What are the legal implications of having multiple wives?

The legality of polygamy varies across different countries and states. In some places, it is considered a criminal offense, while in others it is not recognized or may be allowed under certain circumstances. It is important to research and understand the laws and regulations of a specific location before entering into a polygamous marriage.

5. Are there any benefits to having multiple wives?

Some people believe that having multiple wives can lead to more support, companionship, and resources for the family. However, this is not always the case and it largely depends on the dynamics and communication within the relationships. Ultimately, the benefits of polygamy are subjective and may vary for each individual and family.