1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polygon of Largest Area.

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone.

While I was waiting for my computer program to run, I occupied myself with this little problem. For a fixed perimeter, which regular polygon (or any closed shape in the plane) has the largest area? The answer is the circle (I guess), if we regard it as an infinite-sided polygon. But how does one prove this? Are there any simple proofs? Any intuitive proofs?
    Obviously then one could look at closed surfaces in R^3, and see which has the largest volume for a fixed surface area, which should be the sphere.
    Any thoughts?

Btw, I got this odd relation while trying to work out this problem:
    [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}{\frac{\cot{(\pi /n)}}{4n}} = \pi[/tex]
    lol.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

These are called isoperimetric problems, and are dealt with using calculus of variations.

And yes, you have identified the correct shapes that maximize the area/volume for a given perimeter/surface.

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3
    Thanks, I googled "isoperimteric" and got some sites which gave intuitive proofs, that don't use calculus of variations, which is what I wanted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook