Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polygonometric functions

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    Place the center of a regular polygon with number of sides s=3, 4, 5... at an origin. Also, let its vertexes intersect a unit circle, with one vertex at zero radians.

Define functions similar to those trigonometric. The sweeping vector out from the origin now varies in both its arc around from zero radians as well as its corresponding distance to the side of the polygon.

I believe these "polygonometric" functions are continuous. As s-->oo, the polygonometric functions approach the trigonometric. The relation of polygonometric functions with finite s to trigonometric functions may demonstrate great utility.

Has this idea been introduced before? What might be some of the applications for polygonometric functions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2
    Such functions would obviously be continuous & approach the trigonometric. However, they can be expressed in terms of trigonometric functions conveniently & I'd have two functions {sin,cos} rather than an infinity of polygonometrics.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    How would they be expressed in terms of trigonometric functions?

5. Mar 24, 2010 #4
    We can find where a ray making an angle 't' will cut the regular n-gon. The x & y coordinates will be the n-gonometric functions; expressible in terms of sint ,cost and n.

6. Mar 24, 2010 #5
    Isn't that essentially what I've already said? What I'm asking is whether there is an algebraic relationship between the nth polygonometric function and its analogous trigonometric function over all angles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook