Interested in Joining My Polymath Project on Real Analysis?

In summary, VKnopp is a 14-year-old self-educated math enthusiast with Asperger's Syndrome who plans on taking courses at a university. They are hoping to start a project on the internet to teach real analysis and recruit instructors and students from the forum. They also mentioned scoring in the top 99.999th percentile on an intelligence test, but others advised them not to focus on this and instead work hard and not neglect other important aspects. VKnopp thanked them for the advice and mentioned being interested in reading Baby Rudin with others on the forum.
VKnopp
I forgot to formally introduce myself on this forum. I am VKnopp. I am 14 year old maths enthusiast with Asperger's Syndrome. I self-educated myself all the way up to Calculus III with a little bit of number theory, linear algebra, complex analysis and real analysis supplements. I am in the top 99.999th percentile for intelligence according to the results from an intelligence test that was overseen by a licensed professional.

My education has been very scattered. I plan on taking some courses at a university this spring. Real Analysis is not a prerequisite for the next course I'm taking. I still think it would be a could idea to self-teach myself real analysis come this spring.

So I decided I would like to start a project on the internet. I would like to learn and teach real analysis from/to other like-minded individuals on the internet. The main textbook for this course will be the classic Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin with a little bit of topology supplements. I am hoping to recruit some instructors and students from this forum to see how a community can come together and benefit from each other.

Let me know what you think.

Likes Anama Skout
Physics news on Phys.org
VKnopp said:
I am in the top 99.999th percentile for intelligence according to the results from an intelligence test that was overseen by a licensed professional.

That's great, but it's not a substitute for hard work. Work hard to learn as much math as you can, and see how far that takes you.

Welcome to the forum!

VKnopp said:
I am in the top 99.999th percentile for intelligence according to the results from an intelligence test that was overseen by a licensed professional.

Good for you, but I don't see how this is relevant. IQ tests are very much irrelevant when it comes to science and math. I've known several people with quite a high IQ who couldn't handle mathematics for several reasons. On the other hand, there are people with a lower than average IQ (for example: me), who are able to get a career in math. Nothing beats hard work. And this is the problem with high IQ's: they never learned to handle setbacks since everything always goes well for them. But everybody suffers setbacks eventually, and naturally talented people don't seem to be able to handle this well.
Sure, you got the raw talent for science. Good. But don't neglect the rest, since they are way more important.

micromass said:
Good for you, but I don't see how this is relevant. IQ tests are very much irrelevant when it comes to science and math. I've known several people with quite a high IQ who couldn't handle mathematics for several reasons. On the other hand, there are people with a lower than average IQ (for example: me), who are able to get a career in math. Nothing beats hard work. And this is the problem with high IQ's: they never learned to handle setbacks since everything always goes well for them. But everybody suffers setbacks eventually, and naturally talented people don't seem to be able to handle this well.
Sure, you got the raw talent for science. Good. But don't neglect the rest, since they are way more important.

I agree with you. I was just introducing myself.

VKnopp said:
I agree with you. I was just introducing myself.

So you feel that scoring well on an IQ test is one of the most important things about yourself? Important enough to mention in a short introduction.

micromass said:
So you feel that scoring well on an IQ test is one of the most important things about yourself? Important enough to mention in a short introduction.

It put it because it's an interesting thing about myself and I really don't have much to share about myself, so I decided to add it in.

I think it's best never to mention such things to other people ever. Just a hint. I mean, it's cool you were able to achieve this, but mentioning this in a first post about yourself isn't really going to get you the right kind of attention from people.

micromass said:
I think it's best never to mention such things to other people ever. Just a hint. I mean, it's cool you were able to achieve this, but mentioning this in a first post about yourself isn't really going to get you the right kind of attention from people.

Okay, thank you for the advice. I believe I was told not to do this somewhere else, it apparently makes me look pretentious and arrogant.

I started reading Baby Rudin with @VKnopp for some weeks, but unfortunately, I was confiscated any access to the Internet for many months, I'm only back now. Is anyone still interested in such a project?

1. What is the Polymath Project: Analysis?

The Polymath Project: Analysis is a collaborative research effort that brings together mathematicians, scientists, and other experts to solve difficult mathematical problems using the power of the internet. It aims to accelerate the progress of mathematical research by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable tasks and having multiple minds work on them simultaneously.

2. How does the Polymath Project: Analysis work?

The Polymath Project: Analysis follows an open and collaborative approach, where participants can contribute their ideas and insights to a problem in a structured online forum. The problem is broken down into smaller, more approachable tasks, and participants can work on them simultaneously, building on each other's work. The results are then compiled and refined to reach a solution.

3. Who can participate in the Polymath Project: Analysis?

Anyone with a background in mathematics, science, or a related field can participate in the Polymath Project: Analysis. The project is open to both experts and non-experts, and anyone can contribute their ideas and insights to the problem at hand. The only requirement is a willingness to collaborate and work together with others towards a solution.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the Polymath Project: Analysis?

Participating in the Polymath Project: Analysis can bring many benefits, such as the opportunity to work with and learn from experts in the field, the potential for co-authorship on published research papers, and the satisfaction of contributing to solving a challenging mathematical problem. It also allows for the development of critical thinking, problem-solving, and collaboration skills.

5. Has the Polymath Project: Analysis been successful in solving problems?

Yes, the Polymath Project: Analysis has been very successful in solving difficult mathematical problems. It has resulted in several breakthroughs and published papers in various fields of mathematics, such as number theory, combinatorics, and optimization. It has also been praised for its innovative approach and the potential to revolutionize the way mathematical research is conducted.