1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polymath Project: Analysis

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    I forgot to formally introduce myself on this forum. I am VKnopp. I am 14 year old maths enthusiast with Asperger's Syndrome. I self-educated myself all the way up to Calculus III with a little bit of number theory, linear algebra, complex analysis and real analysis supplements. I am in the top 99.999th percentile for intelligence according to the results from an intelligence test that was overseen by a licensed professional.

My education has been very scattered. I plan on taking some courses at a university this spring. Real Analysis is not a prerequisite for the next course I'm taking. I still think it would be a could idea to self-teach myself real analysis come this spring.

So I decided I would like to start a project on the internet. I would like to learn and teach real analysis from/to other like-minded individuals on the internet. The main textbook for this course will be the classic Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin with a little bit of topology supplements. I am hoping to recruit some instructors and students from this forum to see how a community can come together and benefit from each other.

Let me know what you think.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2
    That's great, but it's not a substitute for hard work. Work hard to learn as much math as you can, and see how far that takes you.

Welcome to the forum!

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Good for you, but I don't see how this is relevant. IQ tests are very much irrelevant when it comes to science and math. I've known several people with quite a high IQ who couldn't handle mathematics for several reasons. On the other hand, there are people with a lower than average IQ (for example: me), who are able to get a career in math. Nothing beats hard work. And this is the problem with high IQ's: they never learned to handle setbacks since everything always goes well for them. But everybody suffers setbacks eventually, and naturally talented people don't seem to be able to handle this well.
    Sure, you got the raw talent for science. Good. But don't neglect the rest, since they are way more important.

5. Oct 13, 2015 #4
    I agree with you. I was just introducing myself.

6. Oct 13, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So you feel that scoring well on an IQ test is one of the most important things about yourself? Important enough to mention in a short introduction.

7. Oct 13, 2015 #6
    It put it because it's an interesting thing about myself and I really don't have much to share about myself, so I decided to add it in.

8. Oct 13, 2015 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think it's best never to mention such things to other people ever. Just a hint. I mean, it's cool you were able to achieve this, but mentioning this in a first post about yourself isn't really going to get you the right kind of attention from people.

9. Oct 13, 2015 #8
    Okay, thank you for the advice. I believe I was told not to do this somewhere else, it apparently makes me look pretentious and arrogant.

10. Feb 21, 2016 #9
    I started reading Baby Rudin with @VKnopp for some weeks, but unfortunately, I was confiscated any access to the Internet for many months, I'm only back now. Is anyone still interested in such a project?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook