Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polymer low permeability for balls

1. Aug 23, 2013 #1
    I have 2 interesting questions, I believe, regarding polymer properties. I am designing a ball (pretty much like a basketball in size and appearance) to be used inside pressure vessels for certain corrosive fluids. The ball is inflated with air to a certain pressure in order to cushion extreme pressures in the pipeline (water-hammer). These balls will expand and contract according to pressure drops or pressure rises in water, respectively.

1) First question: These balls be in contact with certain corrosive fluids (under pressure) so I am looking for any or many polymers to be used as the external layer of the ball, so that it does not suffer from exposion to these special corrosive fluids. I have chemical properties of some of them, but I first ask this for any general corrosive fluid, not one in specific.

2) Second question: So far, I have been using polybutadiene as external polymer in the ball and butyl rubber as internal layer, but I believe there could be better choices in terms of lower permeability, as long as the other options can also be moulded and used as the external layer in a ball, for a reasonable cost (i.e, commercial polymers). The idea is to find also a polymer that can hold for a longer time the air inside the ball.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted