Polymers that have spring properties similar to spring steel

I've been puzzled by this whole thread, given that the subject line say properties similar to spring steel. I don't know much about material properties but I question whether any of the suggestions made so far meet that. Certainly I don't think anything made with wood would do that.

Bows for hunting has been made out of wood for thousands of years. And if they did not spring back they will not function...

Modern compound bow limbs are made from glass fiber / epoxy composites and a lot of leg prosthetics like the ones pictured above is made from carbon fiber / epoxy composites.

But for ease of manufacture and low cost high volume production i wold think that a fiber reinforced thermoplastic will be a better option. But i dont know if it has the same properties as the fiber reinforced epoxy materials mentioned above.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Bows for hunting has been made out of wood for thousands of years. And if they did not spring back they will not function...
Any of them made from spring steel?

Any of them made from spring steel?
Yes bows can be made with leaf springs. But it will be really heavy.
Untitled15.jpg

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
The reasons I was considering plastic was lower cost, ease of manufacturing (mass scale), and shipping and handling purposes.
I don't see why you think plastic has lower costs. Especially laminated plastics or carbon fiber laminates, when you factor in manufacturing cost.

It could be true that spring steel is the less expensive choice. In any case, you need to look at the alternatives in more detail before making a fully informed decision.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes bows can be made with leaf springs. But it will be really heavy.
Yeah, I should have been specific. I was talking about long bows, not cross bows, which I did realize had been made w/ steel.