1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial division homework

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many pairs of solutions make x^4 + px^2 + q = 0 divisable by x^2 + px + q = 0

2. Relevant equations
    x1 + x2 = -p
    x1*x2= q

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried making z = x^2 and replacing but got nowhere. I figure 0,1,-1 are 3 numbers that fit but im not sure whats being asked also. How many pairs of x1 and x2 make the polynomial 1 divisible by polynomial 2. How to start solving this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The second polynomial can be written as [itex](x- a)(x- b)= x^2- (a+ b)x+ ab[/itex] with a+ b= -p and ab= q. It divides the first if and only if the first polynomial has those same factors: is of the form [itex](x- a)(x- b)(x- c)(x- d)= x^4- (a+ b+ c+ d)x^3+ (ab+ ac+ ad+ bc+ bd+ cd)x^2- (abc+ acd+ bcd)x+ abcd[/itex] with a+ b+ c+ d= 0, ab+ ac+ ad+ bc+ bd+ cd= p, abc+ acd+ bcd= 0, and abcd= q. See what you can make of those 6 equations.

4. Nov 18, 2015 #3

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just a guess:

Maybe the question is:
    For how many pairs (p,q) is the polynomial ##x^4+px^2+q## divisible by the polynomial ##x^2+px+q##?
    Where divisible means that the quotient is a polynomial too.

Admittedly, that doesn't explain the "=0" in the question, so I'm far for certain.

EDIT: didn't see the post above before I posted, so just ignore this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  5. Nov 18, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a good question and will stretch your understanding of polynomials. First, I assume that you've added the "=0". It's important to know the difference between a polynomial and a polynomial equation. In this case you are dealing with polynomials. You are not trying to find the values of ##x## for which the polynomial is 0.

I would rephrase the question as:

Find ##p## and ##q## such that ##x^2 + px + q## divides ##x^4 + px^2 + q##

Can you see the first step?

6. Nov 19, 2015 #5
    It is true what you said. I added = 0. It shouldnt be there. I dont seem to have any idea on how to start, maybe you could help me with some subtle hint without giving me the step?

7. Nov 19, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In general, the definition of ##A## divides ##B## is that there exists some ##C## such that ##B = AC##

8. Nov 19, 2015 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do what you wrote in the title: Polynomial Long Division. Divide x4+px2+q with x2+px+q, and find the values of p and q so as the remainder is zero.

9. Nov 21, 2015 #8
    I havent done long division before so i checked it out online and tried to do it.Could you check this?

Attached Files:

10. Nov 21, 2015 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have sign errors at the last stage.

11. Nov 21, 2015 #10
    I dont see it

12. Nov 21, 2015 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(Your reply to ehild:
    )

upload_2015-11-21_12-18-8.png
    Those are the last three lines of the image you posted.

You need to subtract the part enclosed in the red parentheses.

13. Nov 22, 2015 #12
    (p^2 + p - q)(- px - q) + q(px + 1)= 0
    This must be true for some p and q so that there is no remainder. But how do i find those values? There are three variables here.

14. Nov 22, 2015 #13

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They must be true for any value of x. Collect the x terms and the constant terms separately, in form A(p,q)x +B(p,q)≡0. Both A and B are equal to zero. So you have two equations with the parameters p,q.

15. Nov 22, 2015 #14
    Well i get x(-p^3 - p^2 + 2pq) + (-qp^2 - qp + q^2 + q) = 0
    So like you said A and B are 0. I set them to 0 and solved for p but got some cubic equation so i supposed three solutions there. But i cant solve for q.

16. Nov 22, 2015 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I suggest you avoid polynomial division altogether and use HallsofIvy's suggestion back in post #2. He made a slight error in the coefficient of the linear term, however. It should be (abc + abd + acd + bcd).

Consider the cases q = 0 and ##q \ne 0## separately.

17. Nov 22, 2015 #16
    That seems more complicated. Any chance we could try resolving this polynomial division? How to check the solutions after the last part of the division? I separated the cases in the x(-p^3 - p^2 + 2pq) + (-qp^2 - qp + q^2 + q) = 0. I tried to eliminate one variable by substituting p for q but gotten -2p^3 + 2p^2 - p = 0, and when i try the other way around i get something like p^2 + p = q - 1

18. Nov 22, 2015 #17

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can factorize both equations, getting p(-p^2-p+2q)=0 and q(-p^2-p+q+1)=0. What solutions are possible?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  19. Nov 22, 2015 #18
    p and q = 0
    q = 0 and p either of two solutions
    p = 0 and q = -1
    p = q = 1
    That makes it 5. Is that it?

20. Nov 22, 2015 #19

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Make a table for the possible values of p and q.
    It looks that you counted p=0 q=0 twice, and one solution is still missing. What are the solutions if neither p nor q are zero?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  21. Nov 22, 2015 #20
    How did i count p and q to be 0 twice? I counted both to be 0, two cases were in the first q is 0 and p p1 or p2 ( making the first expression 0) and the only case were p and q are non zero but still make zero are p = q = 1. I see no other way

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted