1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial division

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that [tex]g(x) = x^3 + 1[/tex] divides [tex]f(x) = x^{9999} +1[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]g(x)[/tex] can obviously be factored into the irreducible polynomials [tex](x+1)(x^2 - x + 1)[/tex] in [tex]Z[x][/tex], and since [tex]f(-1) = (-1)^{9999} + 1 = 0[/tex], the factor theorem gives that [tex](x+1)[/tex] divides [tex]f(x)[/tex].

Furthermore, we get

[tex]x^{9999}+1 = (x^2 - x + 1) q(x) + r(x)[/tex]

where [tex]r(x) = Ax+B[/tex] since [tex]deg(r(x)) < deg(x^2 - x + 1)[/tex] if [tex]r(x) \neq 0[/tex].

So, showing that [tex]A = B = 0[/tex] would be a good idea, which I have failed to do throughout past trials. I suspect there's an "obvious", clever trick to this, but I'm currently not seeing it.

Another approach would probably be to use [tex]x^{9999}+1 = (x+1)(x^2 - x + 1) q_{2}(x) + r_{2}(x)[/tex] where [tex]r_{2}(x) = Cx^2 + Dx + E[/tex], and so, [tex]x = -1[/tex] yields [tex]C - D + E = 0[/tex], but that hasn't gotten me anywhere either.

Note: I'm assuming that I'm not supposed to use complex roots to factor [tex]x^2 - x + 1[/tex], but the problem doesn't specify that such an assumption is necessary.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You've shown that x + 1 is a factor by showing that f(-1) = 0. The other two factors of x^3 + 1 are x = 1/2 +/- i sqrt(3)/2. If you write these in polar form it's pretty easy to raise them to the 9999th power, and thus show that f(1/2 +/- i sqrt(3)/2) = 0.

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3

Ugh, yay for assumptions! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook