Polynomial Division: Solve with Mike's Help!

In summary, Mike is working on a course in digital control systems and is struggling with understanding the result of the polynomial division in a given expression. After trying long division and seeking help, he realizes his mistake and is able to obtain the correct result.
MikeSv
Hello everyone.

Iam working on a course in digital control systems and by reading my textbook I stumbled over this expression.

C(z) = 0.3678z + 0.2644 : z^2 − 1.3678z + 0.3678
= 0.3678z^−1 + 0.7675z^−2 + 0.9145z^−3 + ...

Now Iam wondering how the result of the polynomial division is obtained?

I tried long division but I am not able to get the same result.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Ps. Sorry for not using the editor as Iam writing from a. Mobile device

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MikeSv said:
I tried long division but I am not able to get the same result.
Hi Mike:

I think long division is the right approach. It might help me help you if you would show the details of the long division you did.

Regards,
Buzz

Hi again and thanks for your reply.

I just looked at the factional again and now Iam not sure anymore if long division works as the power of the denominator is higher than the power of the numerator.

Cheers,

Mike

MikeSv said:
Hi again and thanks for your reply.

I just looked at the factional again and now Iam not sure anymore if long division works as the power of the denominator is higher than the power of the numerator.

Cheers,

Mike
Yes, it still works. The first term of the dividend (the thing being divided) is .3678z, and the first term of the divisor is z2, so the first term in the quotient will be .3678*##\frac 1 z## or .3678z-1. Just continue the process as usual for polynomial division.

Hello again and thanks for all the replies.

I finally found my mistake.

I took z^-2 instead of z^2 in The second term:-(

Now I have the correct result which looks like a power series.

Thanks again,

Mike

1. What is polynomial division?

Polynomial division is a mathematical process used to divide one polynomial expression by another. It is similar to regular long division, but with polynomials instead of numbers.

2. Why is polynomial division important?

Polynomial division is important because it allows us to simplify complex polynomial expressions and solve equations involving polynomials.

3. How do I solve polynomial division problems?

To solve polynomial division problems, you first need to identify the dividend (the polynomial being divided) and the divisor (the polynomial dividing the dividend). Then, use the long division method to divide the terms of the dividend by the first term of the divisor. Continue this process until you have no more terms to divide, and the remainder is either zero or a polynomial with a lower degree than the divisor.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in polynomial division?

Some common mistakes to avoid in polynomial division include forgetting to include a term with a coefficient of zero, incorrectly distributing a negative sign, and making errors in multiplication or addition/subtraction.

5. How can I check my answer to a polynomial division problem?

To check your answer to a polynomial division problem, you can use the inverse operation of multiplication to multiply the quotient and divisor together and then add the remainder. The result should be equal to the original dividend.