Solving for Factors in a Polynomial Equation | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of a and b in a polynomial expression given that (x-1)^7 is a factor of it. By setting P(1) and P'(1) equal to 0 and using the equations for finding P(x) and P'(x), a simultaneous equation is formed which can be solved to find the values of a and b.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A polynomial [tex]P(x)=(x-b)^7Q(x)[/tex]
a) Show that [tex]P(b)=P ' (b)=0[/tex]
b) Hence find a and b, if [tex](x-1)^7[/tex] is a factor of: [tex]P(x)=x^7+3x^6+ax^5+x^4+3x^3+bx^2-x-1[/tex]

Homework Equations

If [tex]P(x)=Q(x)R(x)[/tex]
Then [tex]P ' (x)=Q ' (x)R(x)+Q(x)R ' (x)[/tex]

I can't think of anything for the factoring aspect of the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a)
[tex]P(b)=(b-b)^7Q(b)=0[/tex]
[tex]P ' (x)=7(x-b)^6Q(x)+(x-b)^7Q'(x)[/tex]
[tex]P'(b)=7(b-b)^6Q(b)+(b-b)^7Q'(b)=0[/tex]

But for b) I have no idea how to apply anything from a) to answer the question. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Well if [itex](x-1)^7[/itex] is a factor, then you can write P(x) in the form: [itex]P(x)=(x-1)^7Q(x)[/itex]...So P(1)=__? and P'(1)=___?

But what are P(1) and P'(1) for [itex]P(x)=x^7+3x^6+ax^5+x^4+3x^3+bx^2-x-1[/itex]?:wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Well if [itex](x-1)^7[/itex] is a factor, then you can write P(x) in the form: [itex]P(x)=(x-1)^7Q(x)[/itex]...So P(1)=__? and P'(1)=___?

But what are P(1) and P'(1) for [itex]P(x)=x^7+3x^6+ax^5+x^4+3x^3+bx^2-x-1[/itex]?:wink:

From P(1) and P'(1) you will get a simultaneous equation whereby a+b=? and 5a+2b=?
:wink:

Ahh since [tex]P(1)=P'(1)=0[/tex] and by finding [tex]P(1)=6+a+b[/tex] and [tex]P'(1)=37+5a+2b[/tex] from substituting into the equation, I find a and b through simultaneous equations. Thus, [tex]a=-8\frac{1}{3},b=2\frac{1}{3}[/tex]
I really hope I can pick these ideas up in the test...

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication, but not division or negative powers.

What is factoring a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial means breaking it down into simpler expressions that when multiplied together, give the original polynomial. It is the reverse process of multiplying polynomials.

Why is factoring polynomials important?

Factoring polynomials is important because it allows us to solve equations and find the roots of a polynomial. It also helps in simplifying expressions and identifying patterns in data.

What are the different methods for factoring polynomials?

Some common methods for factoring polynomials include grouping, difference of squares, trinomial factoring, and synthetic division. The method used depends on the degree and structure of the polynomial.

Can all polynomials be factored?

No, not all polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials, known as prime polynomials, cannot be broken down into simpler expressions. Additionally, some polynomials may require complex or irrational numbers in the factored form.