Polynomial Function Definition Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a polynomial function and whether or not a converging infinite series with ascending whole number powers of x could be considered a polynomial. The series in question is written as a sum in sigma notation and converges at Sin(x), where x is an angular measure in radians. The conversation concludes that while a polynomial can be expressed in sigma notation, a power series with infinitely many terms is not considered a polynomial.
Quadratic
I was wondering if a converging infinite series which includes "x" to ascending whole number powers would fit under the definition of a polynomial function. As an example:

f(x) = [n = 1 -> infinity] Sum(x^(2n-1)(-1)^(n+1)/(2n-1)!)

Also written as:

f(x) = x - x^3/3! + x^5/5! - x^7/7! + x^9/9! ...

Since x stays out of the denominator, and since it will always be to a power of a whole number, I was wondering if it could technically be defined as a polynomial function. It sounds like it can be described as polynomial, but my only concern is that it goes on to infinity, which isn't really a number. Also, I'm not sure if it's proper for polynomials to converge to a number, or to be expressed in sigma notation. (That series converges at Sin(x), where x is an angular measure in radians, btw)

edit: I meant to put this in general math, but I seem to have pressed the wrong button, and I'm not sure how to delete/move it. :/

edit: testing out that LaTeX code thingy...

[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} x^{2n-1}(-1)^{n+1}/(2n-1)![/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is actually a good spot for this topic, since infinite sums are (usually) a topic to be addressed with analysis.

It's fine for polynomial to be expressed in sigma notation. For example, the following is a polynomial in x:

[tex]
\sum_{k = 0}^{n} c_k x^k
[/tex]

and if only finitely many of the c's are nonzero, then the following is also a polynomial in x:

[tex]
\sum_{k = 0}^{+\infty} c_k x^k
[/tex]

However, when you have infinitely many (nonzero) terms it is no longer a polynomial. We call such a thing a power series. Amidst the jungle of all possible functions, power series are among the closest neighbors to polynomials, but alas, they aren't actually polynomials.

A polynomial function is defined as a mathematical expression that can be written in the form of a polynomial, which is a sum of terms with non-negative integer exponents. In the example given, the function does fit this definition as it can be rewritten in the form of a polynomial by expanding the series. However, as you mentioned, the series goes on to infinity which means it is not a finite polynomial. Infinite series are not considered polynomial functions, but they can be approximated by polynomial functions.

In terms of convergence, it is possible for a polynomial function to converge to a number, but the series in the example is not a polynomial function. It is important to note that a polynomial function is a specific type of function and not all functions can be classified as polynomials.

In summary, the series in the example is not a polynomial function, but it can be approximated by a polynomial function and it does fit the definition of a polynomial. Additionally, the use of sigma notation does not change the fact that the function is a polynomial.

What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression consisting of one or more terms, with each term being a constant multiplied by one or more variables raised to a non-negative integer power. It can take the form of f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where an, an-1, ..., a1, and a0 are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

What is the highest degree of a polynomial function?

The highest degree of a polynomial function is equal to the highest power of the variable in the expression. For example, in the polynomial function f(x) = 3x4 + 2x2 + 5, the highest degree is 4.

What is a leading coefficient?

A leading coefficient is the coefficient of the term with the highest degree in a polynomial function. In the polynomial function f(x) = 3x4 + 2x2 + 5, the leading coefficient is 3.

What is the difference between a monomial, binomial, and trinomial?

A monomial is a polynomial function with only one term, such as 5x or 2x3. A binomial is a polynomial function with two terms, such as 3x2 + 4. A trinomial is a polynomial function with three terms, such as 2x3 + 3x2 + 5.

How do you graph a polynomial function?

To graph a polynomial function, plot points by substituting different values for x into the function and solving for y. The more points you plot, the more accurate your graph will be. You can also use the shape and degree of the function to determine the general shape of the graph. Additionally, you can use the leading coefficient and the highest degree to determine the end behavior of the graph (whether it goes up or down on the right side and left side of the graph).