1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial function: infimum

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the function "P" defined by: P(x) := x^2n + a2n-1*x^2n-1 + ... + a1x + a0;
    prove that there exists an x* in |R such that P(x*) = inf{P(x) : x belongs to | R}
    Also, prove that:
    |P(x*)| = inf{|P(x)| : x belongs to |R}

3. The attempt at a solution

As the function is the sum of continuous functions, it is contnuos too.
    Then, I thought about the theorem according to which if we have a cont. function on a sequentially compact space, it has inf. and sup. therein.
    But the space here is not sequentially compact.
    Can I use this theorem all the same, by adding some restrictions, perhaps?

thanksss
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2
    I'd say seperate your polynomial into it's even and odd powers.
    IE P2 is all even powered x (including a0) and P1 is your odd, with some type of uniform bound on the coefficients. like |ak|<M
    is this an analysis class? I assume so. we know P2>P1 at large x, and extremely small -x ( like -10^10 or whatever). your function goes to infinity on both sides. Since it is Continuous, think of how you could apply rolles theorem, squeeze theorem, IVT, and the fact that INF(aN+bN)>=Inf(aN)+Inf(bN)

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    thank you! i seem to have solved out the first question.
    but how about the second part:
    |P(x*)| = inf{|P(x)| : x belongs to |R}?
    if I think about a parabola graphic with its vertex in, say, (0, -3), the vertex of the absolute value of the function (0, +3), is no more the infimum.
    it would be possible if the infimum of this function were in the first or fourth quadrant, but i can't assume it, right?

5. Nov 24, 2012 #4
    I think assuming that the inf|P(x)|=/=inf(P(x)) in general is correct. unless there is a strict restrictions of P(x). you'll have two cases of x* that p(x*)=0 implies x* is in inf{|p(x)|}
    or the inf is the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook