Finding the Value of a in a Polynomial Function Using Remainder Theorem

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of 'a' in a polynomial function when divided by (x+2) and (x-1), the remainders are equal. To solve this, the Remainder Theorem is used, which states that if a polynomial f(x) is divided by x - k, then the remainder is f(k). By setting the two expressions equal, we can solve for 'a' and find that it is equal to -3. This method is quicker than trial and error and helps to avoid evaluating 'a' until the end.
gibguitar
Polynomial functions... find "a"

Homework Statement

When ax3 - 4x2 + 5x - 3 is divided by (x+2) and (x-1), the remainders are equal. Find a.

Don't know where to start. A little help? Hints?

Physics news on Phys.org

Use the Remainder Theorem: if a polynomial f(x) is divided by x - k, then the remainder is f(k). Use it twice and set the two expressions equal.

Okay thanks. I guess the question now is, how to do I do long division of polynomials with two variables?

gibguitar said:
Okay thanks. I guess the question now is, how to do I do long division of polynomials with two variables?

You don't. The only "variable" is x. The unknown quantity 'a' is not regarded as a 'variable', even though you don't know what it is yet! Look at it this way: you could plug in some value of 'a', such as a = 1, then carry out the two divisions. You could plug in another value such as a = 5.8 and carry out divisions again. For most values of 'a' you get different remainders when you carry out the two divisions, but for some very special value of values of 'a' the two remainders are the same. You are supposed to find that value of 'a'. Notice that 'a' is never a variable in any of the divisions---only x is.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You don't. The only "variable" is x. The unknown quantity 'a' is not regarded as a 'variable', even though you don't know what it is yet! Look at it this way: you could plug in some value of 'a', such as a = 1, then carry out the two divisions. You could plug in another value such as a = 5.8 and carry out divisions again. For most values of 'a' you get different remainders when you carry out the two divisions, but for some very special value of values of 'a' the two remainders are the same. You are supposed to find that value of 'a'. Notice that 'a' is never a variable in any of the divisions---only x is.

RGV

Ahh... makes sense... well, I could do trial and error and finally come up with an answer, but that would take too long, I'm assuming there's a better way. I did what you said and when I divided:

(x+2) into x^3-4x^2+5x-3 = x^2-6x+17 remainder: -37
(x-1) into x^3-4x^2+5x-3 = x^2-3x+2 remainder: -1

So obviously, a ≠ 1.

Through trial and error, I found the answer to be a = -3
Both gave me remainders of -5 after dividing by (x+2) and (x-1)

What is the quicker (correct) method of getting a = -3?

The quick way is to just keep 'a' unevaluated until the very end. In other words, in your division you will get quantities that have 'a' in them.

RGV

I actually got the answer using remainder theorem! I will put the answer here for future reference in case anyone in the future needs help!

Remainder when divided by x+2 is f(-2)
Remainder when divided by x-1 is f(1)

f(-2) =a(-2)³-4(-2)²+5(-2)-3
f(-2) = -8a -16 -10 -3
= -8a -29

f(1) = a(1)³-4(1)²+5(1)-3
f(1) = a -4 +5 -3
= a -2

a -2 = -8a -29
9a = -27

a = -3Thanks for all the help guys!

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical function that is made up of variables, coefficients, and exponents, and is expressed as a sum of terms. The exponents must be whole numbers, and the coefficients can be any real number.

2. How do you find the roots of a polynomial function?

To find the roots of a polynomial function, set the function equal to 0 and solve for the variable. This will give you the x-values where the function crosses the x-axis, also known as the roots or zeros of the function.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial function?

The degree of a polynomial function is the highest exponent in the function. For example, a quadratic function has a degree of 2, while a cubic function has a degree of 3.

4. How do you graph a polynomial function?

To graph a polynomial function, plot several points by plugging in different x-values and finding the corresponding y-values. Then, connect the points with a smooth curve. It is also helpful to find the x-intercepts, y-intercept, and any other important points on the graph.

5. What is the difference between a polynomial function and a rational function?

A polynomial function does not have any terms with negative or fractional exponents, while a rational function may have terms with negative or fractional exponents. Additionally, a rational function has a denominator that cannot equal 0, while a polynomial function can have any value for the variable.