1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial Functions help

1. Sep 6, 2006 #1
    Today was the second day of school, and my calc teacher gave some review homework. We did problems similar to the ones last year, but I don't remember how to do them. I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I need help anyways :uhh:

It says:

Expand and simplify. Express each equation in standard form:

f(x)= (x-1) (x+3) (x-5)

That's only one of them... I think I'll be able to handle the rest of them if someone can tell me how to do this one. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The rules of this forum state that you must show some effort before we can help. Do you have any thoughts on what to do?

4. Sep 6, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know how to FOIL?

Or, more generally, note that when you have some multiplication like (a + b)(c + d), every term in the first factor {a, b} gets multiplied by every term in the second factor {c, d}:

ab +
    ac +
    bc +
    bd

In an even more general case, if you had an expression like (a + b + c + d)(e + f), you'd again multiply every term in the first factor by every term in the second factor:

ae +
    af +
    be +
    bf +
    ce +
    cf +
    de +
    df

- Warren

5. Sep 6, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You might want to start by stating exactly what "standard form" is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?