What is the Graph Behavior of a Polynomial Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the graph of a polynomial function without using a calculator. The polynomial function is given as P(x)=x(x-3)(x+2) and the task is to sketch its graph while showing all intercepts and exhibiting proper behavior. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to determine the direction of the graph and whether it bounces or goes through the zeros. The solution involves finding the stationary points and using substitution to determine the sign of the function in between the zeros. Additionally, the conversation mentions the use of derivatives, which may not have been covered in a pre-calculus course.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Sketch the graph of the polynomial function. Make sure your graph shows all intercepts and exhibits the proper behavior. No calculator allowed.

P(x)=x(x-3)(x+2)

Homework Equations

P(x)=x(x-3)(x+2)

The Attempt at a Solution

P(x)=x(x-3)(x+2)
0(x-3)(x+2)=0
x(3-3)(x+2)=0
x(x-3)(-2+2)=0
Zeros: 0, 3, -2
Degree: 1+1+1=3 (Odd)
Leading Coefficient: 1 (Positive)
Multiplicities: 1, 1, 1

Therefore, I have X-Intercepts at all of the zeros. However, I am confused as to how I determine what direction the graph goes at different intervals and whether it bounces or goes through the zeros. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the stationary points by putting P'(x)=0

There's a reason this is the pre-cal thread, no matter how much some like to ignore the title. Although it is a lot easier with calculus,I suggest you find out what lies in between the zeroes (positive values or negative values). In fact,as a good way to guess, pick x values halfway between the zeroes for substitution.

If x> 3, then all of x, x-3, and x+2 are positive so x(x-3)(x+ 2) is positive.
If 0< x< 3, then x and x+2 are positive but x-3 is negative so x(x-3)(x+2) is negative.
If -2< x< 0, then x+ 2 is positive but x and x-3 are negative so x(x-3)(x+2) is positive.
If x< -2 then all of x, x-3, and x+2 are negative so x(x-3)(x+2) is negative.

That should be exactly what you need.

Enjoicube said:
There's a reason this is the pre-cal thread, no matter how much some like to ignore the title.

What's that supposed to mean? This work is from my class, called "Honors Trigonometry and Pre-calculus."

Thank you to HallsOfIvy and everyone else that contributed, that was exactly what I needed!

P'(x) means the derivative with respect to x, which I am guessing you wouldn't have learned by now because that is in calculus.

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as a sum of terms, each of which is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial function?

The degree of a polynomial function is the highest power of the variable in the function. For example, if the function is f(x) = 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2.

3. How can I determine the end behavior of a polynomial function?

The end behavior of a polynomial function can be determined by looking at the degree and leading coefficient of the function. If the degree is even and the leading coefficient is positive, the function will have a positive end behavior. If the degree is even and the leading coefficient is negative, the function will have a negative end behavior. If the degree is odd, the end behavior will depend on the sign of the leading coefficient.

4. What is the significance of the x-intercepts of a polynomial function?

The x-intercepts of a polynomial function are the points at which the function crosses the x-axis. These points are important because they represent the roots of the function, or the values of x for which the function equals 0. They can also provide information about the behavior of the function near those points.

5. How can I use a polynomial function to model real-world phenomena?

Polynomial functions can be used to model real-world phenomena by representing mathematical relationships between variables. For example, a quadratic function can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, or a cubic function can be used to model the population growth of a species. By analyzing the graph of the polynomial function, we can gain insights and make predictions about the behavior of the real-world phenomenon.