How Do Polynomial Recurrence Relations Determine Function Parity?

• Thread starter TiberiusK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses the function H_n(x) and its properties. It is shown that H_n(x) is an even function when n is even and an odd function when n is odd. Induction is used to prove that H_{2k}(x)=(-1)^k(2k-1)(2k-3)...1 and the value of H_n(0) when n is odd. The use of LaTeX is suggested for easier readability.
TiberiusK

Homework Statement

[H_{n}(x)=-xH_{n-1}(x)-(n-1)H_{n-2}(x) ,for,n>=2 H_{0}(x)=1\ and H_{1}(x)=-x
a)Show that H_{n}(x) is an even function when n is even and an odd function when n is odd.
Also show by induction that:
b)H_{2k}(x)=(-1)^k(2k-1)(2k-3)...1
hat is the value o H_{n}(0) when n is odd

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Show that is an even function when n is even and an odd function when n is odd.
b).
What is the value of when n is odd?
a)Now I proved that H_{n}(x) is an even function when n is even and an odd function when n is odd. for the base case but I'm stuck whit the general case as when :
1.n is even=>n+1 odd and by the recurrence relation I'm stuck with the difference between an even function and an odd one.
2.n is odd=>n+1 even and by the recurrence relation again I get the difference between an odd function and an even one.
b)I think it has something to do with a)

Physics news on Phys.org
TiberiusK said:

Homework Statement

[H_{n}(x)=-xH_{n-1}(x)-(n-1)H_{n-2}(x) ,for,n>=2 H_{0}(x)=1\ and H_{1}(x)=-x
a)Show that H_{n}(x) is an even function when n is even and an odd function when n is odd.
b)H_{2k}(x)=(-1)^k(2k-1)(2k-3)...1
hat is the value o H_{n}(0) when n is odd

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Show that is an even function when n is even and an odd function when n is odd.
b).
What is the value of when n is odd?
a)Now I proved that H_{n}(x) is an even function when n is even and an odd function when n is odd. for the base case but I'm stuck whit the general case as when :
1.n is even=>n+1 odd and by the recurrence relation I'm stuck with the difference between an even function and an odd one.
2.n is odd=>n+1 even and by the recurrence relation again I get the difference between an odd function and an even one.
b)I think it has something to do with a)

I think that you are mixing up the two parts. Part a doesn't have anything to do with induction, but what you're saying about base cases implies that you think it does.

Part b definitely should be done using induction. For the base case you can use k = 1, and evaluate H2(x).

BTW, your partial LaTeX is difficult to read. Since all you're using are exponents and subscripts, you can write your stuff using the X2 and X2 buttons. Click Go Advanced to see the expanded menu across the top of the entry area.

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression made up of variables, coefficients, and exponents. It can contain one or more terms, and the terms can be added, subtracted, and multiplied together. Examples of polynomials include 3x^2 + 5x + 2 and 2xy^3 - 7x^2y.

2. How do you add or subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, you must first arrange the terms in descending order of their exponents. Then, combine like terms by adding or subtracting the coefficients. For example, (3x^2 + 5x + 2) + (2x^2 + 4x + 1) would become 5x^2 + 9x + 3.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent in the expression. For example, the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2 has a degree of 2 because 2 is the highest exponent in the expression.

4. How do you multiply polynomials?

To multiply polynomials, you must use the distributive property. This means you multiply each term in the first polynomial by each term in the second polynomial, and then combine like terms. For example, (3x + 2)(2x + 5) would become 6x^2 + 19x + 10.

5. What is the remainder theorem?

The remainder theorem states that when a polynomial f(x) is divided by (x - a), the remainder is equal to f(a). In simpler terms, if you divide a polynomial by (x - a), the remainder will be the value of the polynomial when x is equal to a. This theorem is useful for finding the remainder of polynomial division without actually performing the division.