Proving a Root between 0 and 1 for Polynomial Induction

In summary: Homework StatementSuppose an/n+1 +...+a0/1=0.Prove f(x) =anxn +...+a0 has a root between zero and one.In summary, by using the Mean Value Theorem for integrals and the fundamental theorem of calculus, it can be proven that there exists a value x between zero and one for which the polynomial f(x) has a root. This can also be shown through induction by manipulating the terms of the polynomial and using the fact that the integral of a polynomial is equal to the sum of its terms.
quincyboy7

Homework Statement

Suppose an/n+1 +...+a0/1=0.
Prove f(x) =anxn +...+a0 has a root between zero and one.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure this is induction, but I'm not completely sure.
Mean Value Theorem probably

The Attempt at a Solution

Well f(0)=a0 and f(1)=an + ... + a0.
If it is induction, it is easy to show that when n=0, f(x)=0 for all x and thus it is obviously constant and has infinitely many roots between 0 and 1.

Assuming a root between 0 and 1 for n=k, the case for n=k+1 just doesn't seem very manipulable to me to create any kind of cancellation or truth arising from n=k. I'm pretty sure I have to manipulate the an/n+1 +...+a0=0 deal, but how to do that I have no clue.

Also, should I aim to prove that f(0) and f(1) have opposite signs? This gives me the end result immediately from the Mean Value Theorem. How would I accomplish that? What if they are both zero?

Is induction the right method here, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find a way to turn each term [itex]x^k[/itex] into [itex]1/(k+1)[/itex]. Can you think of an operation that does something like that?

Consider the polynomial g(x)=a_n*x^(n+1)/(n+1)+a_(n-1)*x^n/n+...+a0*x.

So I can integrate f and get

h(x)=anxn+1/n+1 + ... + a0*x + C.

I can factor out an x and get x(anxn/n+1 +...+a0)+C.
I'm still left riddled with x-terms and I don't see how the integral can help me find many roots...

quincyboy7 said:
So I can integrate f and get

h(x)=anxn+1/n+1 + ... + a0*x + C.

I can factor out an x and get x(anxn/n+1 +...+a0)+C.
I'm still left riddled with x-terms and I don't see how the integral can help me find many roots...

Leave off the +C. What are h(0) and h(1)?

Why can I leave off the +C?

h(0)=0 (or C)
h(1)=0 (or C) as well...so no area is accumulated by f from 0 to 1. Thus the areas "cancel out" and either f is constant at 0 or f(0) has an sign opposite that of f(1)...that makes sense, but how can I write that up rigorously?

You can leave off the +C because you don't care what it is. The derivative of h(x) is still f(x). Why not make it zero? If you want to make the conclusion rigorous, why don't you use the Mean Value Theorem, like you said you thought you should do?

Ok, so either the function accumulates zero area everywhere (i.e. is constant at zero) and I'm done, or it accumulates some positive area and the same amount of negative area.

Question, though. Does the accumulation of positive area implies there exists an x on the interval such that f(x)>0? I mean, that's incredibly intuitive, but how would you derive that directly from, say, the definition of an integral as INT f(x)=inf{U (f, P)}=sup{L (f, P)}, where U(f,P)=the sum of the supremums of the value of f(x) on a particular interval in partititon P times the length of the interval and L(f,P)=the sum of the infimums of the value of f(x) on a particular interval in P times the length of the interval

quincyboy7 said:
Ok, so either the function accumulates zero area everywhere (i.e. is constant at zero) and I'm done, or it accumulates some positive area and the same amount of negative area.

Question, though. Does the accumulation of positive area implies there exists an x on the interval such that f(x)>0? I mean, that's incredibly intuitive, but how would you derive that directly from, say, the definition of an integral as INT f(x)=inf{U (f, P)}=sup{L (f, P)}, where U(f,P)=the sum of the supremums of the value of f(x) on a particular interval in partititon P times the length of the interval and L(f,P)=the sum of the infimums of the value of f(x) on a particular interval in P times the length of the interval

You've already said h(0)=h(1). Why aren't you using the Mean Value Theorem instead of philosophising about 'area accumulation'?

Oh! I was always assuming I should use mean value on f, not h. Alright, mean value on h implies that there is a value c on (0,1) s.t. h'(c)=0 i.e. f(c)=0.

I'm stupid.

quincyboy7 said:
I'm stupid.

No, you're not. You just look the wrong way sometimes and keep fixated on it instead of looking around.

Incidentally, you can do it using the integration method. What you need is the following theorem:

Mean value theorem for integrals:
Let [itex]f:[a,b]\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] be continuous. Then there exists [itex]x\in (a,b)[/itex] such that
[tex]\int_a^b f(t)\mathrm{d}t=(b-a)f(x)[/tex]

Proof:
Let [itex]g(x)=\int_a^x f(t)\mathrm{d}t[/itex] for [itex]x\in[a,b][/itex]. Then by the fundamental theorem of calculus, g is differentiable in (a,b), with g'(x)=f(x), and continuous in [a,b]. By the mean value theorem, there is an x in (a,b) with g'(x)=(g(b)-g(a))/(b-a)=f(x), which is what we wanted.

1. What is the purpose of proving a root between 0 and 1 for polynomial induction?

The purpose of proving a root between 0 and 1 for polynomial induction is to demonstrate that the polynomial function has at least one real root within the interval (0,1). This is important because it allows us to use the principle of mathematical induction to prove that the polynomial function is true for all values within the interval.

2. How do you prove a root between 0 and 1 for polynomial induction?

To prove a root between 0 and 1 for polynomial induction, we use the intermediate value theorem. This theorem states that if a continuous function takes on different signs at two points, then it must have at least one root between those two points. Therefore, we can evaluate the polynomial function at two points within the interval (0,1) and show that they have opposite signs, proving the existence of a root within the interval.

3. Can you use any polynomial function for polynomial induction?

No, not all polynomial functions can be used for polynomial induction. The polynomial function must have a root between 0 and 1 in order for the induction to be valid. Additionally, the function must be continuous within the interval (0,1) in order for the intermediate value theorem to be applicable.

4. What is the significance of proving a root between 0 and 1 for polynomial induction?

Proving a root between 0 and 1 for polynomial induction is significant because it allows us to use mathematical induction to prove that the polynomial function holds true for all values within the interval (0,1). This can be helpful in many applications, such as in proving the convergence of a series or in solving differential equations.

5. Are there any alternative methods for proving a root between 0 and 1 for polynomial induction?

Yes, there are alternative methods for proving a root between 0 and 1 for polynomial induction. One method is to use the bisection method, which involves repeatedly dividing the interval (0,1) in half and evaluating the polynomial at the midpoint until a root is found. Another method is to use graphical or numerical methods, such as graphing the function or using a calculator to find the root. However, the intermediate value theorem is the most commonly used method for proving a root between 0 and 1 for polynomial induction.