Did I Divide This Polynomial Correctly?

In summary, the DE requires the user to make this friendlier to integrate, by dividing it. However, when doing so, they ran into trouble and need help from the user.
Lancelot59
As part of solving a DE I need to make this friendlier to integrate:

[tex]\frac{2u}{1+u^{-2}}[/tex]
I figured trying to divide it couldn't hurt. I got:
[tex]u^{-1}+u^{-3}[/tex]

I can't type out all the steps easily, I'm on a mobile device at the moment. That answer looks suspect, did I do it correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's more than suspect, it's completely wrong. If u=1 then your first expression is 1, the second one is 2. Pretty bad, yes? Suggest you get off the mobile device and type in your steps.

A more comfortable form of [itex] \frac{2u}{1+u^{-2}} [/itex] may be found if you start like this:
[itex]\frac{2u}{1+u^{-2}} \frac{u^2}{u^2}[/itex]

Hmm... I've got 1 over some function times what is almost the derivative of that function ... and I want to integrate that combination ...

Dick said:
It's more than suspect, it's completely wrong. If u=1 then your first expression is 1, the second one is 2. Pretty bad, yes? Suggest you get off the mobile device and type in your steps.
I'm home now.

I set it up like so (I left the two out):
[tex]u|1+u^{-2}[/tex]

from my understanding you're supposed to write the functions in descending order of powers.

For 1:[tex]u*\frac{1}{u}=1[/tex]
subtraction yields zero. You then need to find out what multiple of u gives you u-2. u*u-3=u-2, subtraction gives zero. Total remainder of zero.

So I get the final answer of:
[tex]\frac{1}{u}+u^{-3}+\frac{0}{1+u^{-2}}=\frac{1}{u}+u^{-3}[/tex]

I think I just saw where I went wrong...I wrote it backwards.

I should be solving:
[tex]1+u^{-2}|u[/tex]

SteamKing said:
Hmm... I've got 1 over some function times what is almost the derivative of that function ... and I want to integrate that combination ...
I don't see how that works, it's missing an exponent.

Lancelot59 said:
I'm home now.

I set it up like so (I left the two out):
[tex]u|1+u^{-2}[/tex]

from my understanding you're supposed to write the functions in descending order of powers.

For 1:[tex]u*\frac{1}{u}=1[/tex]
subtraction yields zero. You then need to find out what multiple of u gives you u-2. u*u-3=u-2, subtraction gives zero. Total remainder of zero.

So I get the final answer of:
[tex]\frac{1}{u}+u^{-3}+\frac{0}{1+u^{-2}}=\frac{1}{u}+u^{-3}[/tex]

I think I just saw where I went wrong...I wrote it backwards.

I should be solving:
[tex]1+u^{-2}|u[/tex]

I don't see how that works, it's missing an exponent.

Right, you did it backwards. (1+u^(-2))/u=u^(-1)+u^(-3). The whole process is a lot easier to follow if you clear out the negative powers first, like symbolpoint suggested above.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the help.

What is Polynomial Long Division?

Polynomial long division is a method used to divide two polynomials, or algebraic expressions with variables, by finding the quotient and remainder. It is similar to long division with numbers, but instead of dividing by a single digit, the divisor is a polynomial expression.

When is Polynomial Long Division used?

Polynomial long division is used in algebraic equations and functions where the divisor is not a monomial, meaning it has more than one term. It is also used to simplify complex fractions involving polynomials.

What are the steps for Polynomial Long Division?

The steps for polynomial long division are as follows:
1. Arrange the terms of the dividend and divisor in descending order of their exponents.
2. Divide the first term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor to get the first term of the quotient.
3. Multiply the first term of the quotient by the entire divisor and subtract it from the dividend.
4. Bring down the next term of the dividend and repeat the process until all terms have been brought down.
5. The final answer will be the quotient plus any remainder left over the divisor.

What are the common mistakes made in Polynomial Long Division?

Some common mistakes in polynomial long division include forgetting to subtract the terms when bringing down the next term, making errors in the multiplication step, and forgetting to include the power terms in the quotient. It is important to check your work and double check for any errors.

What are some practical applications of Polynomial Long Division?

Polynomial long division is used in various fields like engineering, physics, and economics to solve real-world problems. It is used to find the roots of polynomial equations, which are important in predicting the behavior of systems and making accurate financial projections. It is also used in computer science and coding to solve complex algorithms and equations.