Polynomial Math Help: Solve 2x+1/x^7+5x^2-1

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve a polynomial equation involving negative and positive exponents. The person is unsure of which method to use and asks for help, but later figures out the solution with the help of their teacher and the added instruction to state the restrictions.
aisha
-2x+1/x^7+5x^2-1

x^7 is throwing me off the question didnt say what to do what do i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes Aisha what do you want to do?

maverick280857 said:
Yes Aisha what do you want to do?

DIVIDE I GUESS
im not sure if i have to factor or use long division or synthetic I guess anything that will give me an answer
please help someone :smile:

Did you try either of those methods? What reason do you have to believe that they won't work? We're still dealing with polynomials here...

Omg its an online course and that question came up and i didnt even know what I was doing but when I asked the teacher for the solutions she added in the question state the restrictions, so now I know what to do lol thanks everyone :smile:

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables, coefficients, and exponents, and is made up of terms that are added or subtracted together. It can have multiple terms and can be written in the form of axn + bxn-1 + ... + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are coefficients and n is a non-negative integer.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of its variable. For example, in the polynomial 2x3 + 5x2 - 3x + 1, the degree is 3 because it is the highest exponent of x.

How do I solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you must first rearrange the terms so that they are in standard form, with the highest degree term on the left. Then, you can use a variety of methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or synthetic division to find the solutions, or roots, of the equation.

What is the solution to the given polynomial equation?

The solution to the polynomial equation 2x+1/x^7+5x^2-1 is dependent on the specific values of x. Without a given value for x, the equation cannot be solved. To find the solution, you would need to substitute a specific value for x and then solve the resulting equation.

Can I use a calculator to solve polynomial equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve polynomial equations. Many scientific and graphing calculators have built-in functions for solving polynomials. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving a polynomial equation by hand before relying on a calculator.