Constructing a Polynomial for the Sum of Square Roots - Degree 4 Homework

In summary, a polynomial of degree 4 is a mathematical expression with four terms that contain variables raised to the power of four or lower. The highest power of the variable in a polynomial of degree 4 is 4, and the degree of the polynomial is also 4. This means that the polynomial has up to four solutions, which can be found by substituting values for x and calculating the corresponding y values. To graph a polynomial of degree 4, you can plot points or use technology, such as a graphing calculator.
happyg1

Homework Statement

Let R be the field of real numbers and Q the field of rational numbers. In R,[tex]\sqrt 3 [/tex] and [tex]\sqrt 2[/tex] are both algebriac. Exhibit a polynomial of degree 4 staisfied by[tex]\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3 [/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to construct this by [tex](\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3)^4 = 20\sqrt 6 + 49[/tex]
then my polynomial is [tex] x^4-(20\sqrt 6 + 49)=0[/tex]
is this even close? ThenI have to show it's irreducible and I'm not quite sure where to start that.
My next problem is to prove that sin 1 is an algebriac number. I'm not sure how to construct that polynomial to prove it's irreducible, either.

Any hints or advise will be appreciated
Thanks
CC

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear CC,

Great job on constructing a polynomial that satisfies \sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3! Your polynomial is indeed close, but it can be simplified further. Remember that (\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3)^4 = (2 + 2\sqrt 6 + 3\sqrt 2 + 3\sqrt 3)^2 = (5 + 4\sqrt 6)^2 = 25 + 40\sqrt 6 + 24 = 49 + 40\sqrt 6. So your polynomial can be written as x^4 - (49 + 40\sqrt 6) = 0. This polynomial is irreducible because it has no rational roots and cannot be factored into polynomials of lower degree with rational coefficients.

For proving that sin 1 is an algebraic number, we can use the fact that sin x is a solution to the polynomial equation x - (1 - \cos x) = 0. Substituting x = 1, we get sin 1 = 1 - \cos 1. Now we can use the fact that cos x is a solution to the polynomial equation x^2 - 2 = 0. Substituting x = 1, we get \cos 1 = \sqrt 2 - 1. So sin 1 = 1 - (\sqrt 2 - 1) = 2 - \sqrt 2. Therefore, the polynomial x - (2 - \sqrt 2) = 0 has sin 1 as a root, making sin 1 an algebraic number.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

What is a polynomial of degree 4?

A polynomial of degree 4 is a mathematical expression that contains four terms with variables raised to the power of four or lower. It can be written in the form of ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is a variable.

What is the highest power of the variable in a polynomial of degree 4?

The highest power of the variable in a polynomial of degree 4 is 4. This means that the variable is raised to the power of 4 in one of the terms in the polynomial.

What is the degree of a polynomial of degree 4?

The degree of a polynomial of degree 4 is 4. The degree of a polynomial is determined by the highest power of the variable in the expression.

How many solutions does a polynomial of degree 4 have?

A polynomial of degree 4 can have up to four solutions, depending on the number of distinct roots. However, some of the solutions may be repeated or complex numbers.

How do you graph a polynomial of degree 4?

To graph a polynomial of degree 4, you can plot points by substituting different values for x and calculating the corresponding y values. You can also use technology, such as a graphing calculator, to plot the graph accurately.