Polynomial Divided by (x-1)(x-2): Remainder & Why

• Thread starter Xalos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, when dividing a polynomial by (x-1) and (x-2), the remainder is 2 and 3 respectively. This means that the polynomial can be represented as ax^2 + (1-3a)x + (1+2a), and when divided by (x-1)(x-2), the remainder is 0. This is because the polynomial must be quadratic in order to have numeric remainders when divided by (x-1) and (x-2).
Xalos
Suppose a polynomial is divided by (x-1) and remainder=2 and when the same polynomial is divided by (x-2), remainder is 3. What is the remainder when the polynomial is divided by (x-1)(x-2)? Why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This may seem vague, but a remainder may either be a constant, or the degree in the numerator is lower than the degree in the denominator.

You can start with:
P(x) = D(x)Q(x) + R(x),
where P(x) is your polynomial and your dividend, D(x) is your divisor which might be a binomial or trinomial, Q(x) is the quotient, and R(x) is the remainder.

I worked your problem and it should not be too complicated. You should understand something about using synthetic division to obtain points of the polynomial. If you divide using synthetic division and you obtain a nonzero remainder, then the divisor number and the remainder will give you a point on the polynomial. If the root used is a and the remainder is b, then a point on the polynomial is (a, b).

Xalos said:
Suppose a polynomial is divided by (x-1) and remainder=2 and when the same polynomial is divided by (x-2), remainder is 3. What is the remainder when the polynomial is divided by (x-1)(x-2)? Why?

You know three things:

Since the polynomial, P(x), divided by x-1, has a numeric remainder, it must be quadratic, of the form ax2+ bx+ c.

Since the remainder, when divided by x-1, is 2, P(1)= a+ b+ c= 2.

Since the remainder, when divided by x-2, is 3, P(2)= 4a+ 2b+ c= 3.

Subtracting the first equation from the second gives 3a+ b= 1 so b= 1- 3a. Putting that into the first equation, a+ 1- 3a+ c= 2 or -2a+ c= 1 so c= 1+ 2a.

Now, divide ax2+ (1-3a)x+ 1+ 2a by (x-1)(x-2)= x2+ 3x+ 2.

Thanx! It didn't occur to me that p(x) couldn't be anything other than quadratic.

Actually, I wrote out a long response arguing that this was a bad problem because there were too many possibilities and the couldn't all give the same remainder.

Until I did the critical division at the end and found out they did!

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, I wrote out a long response arguing that this was a bad problem because there were too many possibilities and the couldn't all give the same remainder.

Until I did the critical division at the end and found out they did!

You could show us what you were writing anyway. The reason I might like to read it is that I did not make any assumptions about the initial unknown polynomial, and then I found a non-polynomial result (a binomial, in fact). I would try to be clear about what assumption I did make that I should not have made; or what assumption I should have made that I did not. My result was that P(x)= ( x+1). Not a bad result but it is not a polynomial. The division process lead only to a remainder, and no other coefficients. Should I have understood that I must expect at least a quadratic degree polynomial?

1. What is the purpose of dividing a polynomial by (x-1)(x-2)?

The purpose of dividing a polynomial by (x-1)(x-2) is to find the remainder when the polynomial is divided by the expression (x-1)(x-2). This can be helpful in simplifying the polynomial and understanding its behavior.

2. Can a polynomial be divided by (x-1)(x-2) without a remainder?

Yes, a polynomial can be divided by (x-1)(x-2) without a remainder if (x-1)(x-2) is a factor of the polynomial. This means that the polynomial is divisible by (x-1)(x-2) and the remainder will be equal to zero.

3. How do you find the remainder when dividing a polynomial by (x-1)(x-2)?

To find the remainder when dividing a polynomial by (x-1)(x-2), you can use the polynomial long division method. This involves dividing the polynomial by (x-1)(x-2) and then finding the remainder by subtracting the product of the divisor and quotient from the original polynomial.

4. What does the remainder represent in polynomial division?

The remainder in polynomial division represents the leftover terms that cannot be divided evenly by the divisor. It is the part of the polynomial that does not fit into the divisor and is left as a remainder after the division process.

5. How can understanding polynomial division help in solving real-world problems?

Understanding polynomial division and finding the remainder can help in solving real-world problems that involve polynomial equations. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum or minimum value of a polynomial function, or to find the roots or zeros of a polynomial. It can also be helpful in evaluating limits or finding the inverse of a polynomial function.