1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial Proofs

1. May 29, 2006 #1
    If [tex] n \geq 1 [/tex] and [tex] f(a) = 0 [/tex] for some real a , then [tex] f(x) = (x-a)h(x) [/tex], where h is a polynomial of degree [tex] n-1 [/tex]. So:

[tex] f(a) = \sum_{k=0}^{n} c_{k}a^{k} = c_{0} + c_{1}a + c_{2}a^{2} + ... + c_{n}a^{n} = 0 [/tex]. In a hint it says to consider [tex] p(x) = f(x+a) [/tex]. So I expanded that and got: [tex] c_{0}+c_{1}(x+a)+c_{2}(x+a)^{2} + ... + c_{n}(x+a)^{n} [/tex]. So how do I use this to prove the above statement?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If there exists a polynomial h(x) such that f(x) = (x-a)h(x), we say that (x-a) is a factor of f(x). In general, if f(x) and g(x) are any two polynomials, then if there exists h(x) such that f(x) = g(x)h(x), we say that g(x) is a factor of f(x). So the problem asks you to prove that if f(a) = 0, then (x-a) is a factor of f(x). Do you see that it suffices to prove that x is a factor of p(x), given that p(x) is defined as f(x+a)?

Well you know that f(a) = 0, which gives:

[tex]c_{0} + c_{1}a + c_{2}a^{2} + ... + c_{n}a^{n} = 0 [/tex]

And you've written out p(x) as:

[tex] c_{0}+c_{1}(x+a)+c_{2}(x+a)^{2} + ... + c_{n}(x+a)^{n} [/tex]

Can you put these two facts together to show that x divides p(x), i.e. that x is a factor of p(x)?

4. May 29, 2006 #3
    Well [tex] c_{0}+c_{1}(x+a)+c_{2}(x+a)^{2} + ... + c_{n}(x+a)^{n} = c_{0} + c_{1}x+c_{1}a + c_{2}x^{2} + 2c_{2}xa + c_{2}a^{2} + ... + c_{n}(x+a)^{n}[/tex]. I know that we can factor out the [tex] f(a) [/tex] and set it equal to 0. But then what is the new expression. Also could you explain why it suffices to prove that x is a factor of [tex] p(x) [/tex] if [tex] p(x) = f(x+a) [/tex]?

Thanks

5. May 29, 2006 #4
    You want to show that (x-a) is a factor of f(x). Do you see how this is related to showing that x is a factor of p(x)=f(x+a)? Or perhaps showing that t is a factor of f(t+a)?

6. May 30, 2006 #5
    When I first looked at this, I didn't understand it either. But after some deep thinking, it started making sense.

If (x - a) is a factor of f(x), the x is a factor of p(x). Why? Because if we assume that f(x) = (x - a) h(x) for some h(x), then p(x) = f(x + a) = (x + a - a)h(x) = x h(x).

Do you understand now?

I'll give you a hint to prove that x is a factor of p(x): p(x) = f(x + a) = f(x + a) - f(a) since f(a) = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?