1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial Question

1. Nov 9, 2004 #1

uart

Science Advisor

Somebody gave me the following question, I was able to solve it but was unsure about some of the assumptions involved.

Question : Given that the polynomial x^3 + m x^2 + 15 x - 7 has at least two rational roots then find m.

Now the question didn't state that m had to be integer and I was unsure as to whether this was meant to be assumed or whether it could be deduced.

Here's what I did.

1. Since the product of the roots is 7 then two rational roots implies that the third root is also rational.

2. I assumed that m was integer which meant that the rational roots where also integer. ( by the http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/RationalRootTheorem.html [Broken] )

3. Since there are very few ways of having integer roots that multiply to give 7 I easily found the possible roots of 7, 1, 1, that multiply to give 7 and also have sum of pair-products totalling to 15.

4. So m = -(7 + 1 + 1) = -9

So did I need to assume that m was integer or could it have been deduced?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've found an m that satisfies the requirements. What does it matter that you assumed m was integer? It makes it easier and gives a unique solution, but so what? Had the assumption not yielded an answer then you couldn't conclude no solution existed, but that's all.

7=xyz
    15=xy+xz+yz

15=xy+x(7/xy)+y(7/xy)=xy+7y+7x

so let x=2,

15=2y+7y+14, so y=1/9, and hence z=63/2 would also work, so it is neither necessary for m to be an integer, nor is it deducible that m is one.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  4. Nov 9, 2004 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Yes I know that the solution is ok, and I'm sure it was the intended solution, but I am still uncertain as to whether it's unique.

Is there any theroem that would have implied that m had to be integer once I had all three roots rational, all other coefficients integer, and a monic polynomial ?

5. Nov 9, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See my example, in the above edited post. Clearly it is not necessary for m to be an integer, and cannot be deduced.

6. Nov 9, 2004 #5

uart

Science Advisor

Thanks Matt, that's just what I wanted to know. :)

7. Nov 9, 2004 #6

uart

Science Advisor

Hang on Matt, there is a mistake in that example.

It should be 15 = xy + 7/x + 7/y.

x=2 leads to a quadratic with irrational solutions for y.

8. Nov 9, 2004 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's also clear that the choice of x=2 was completely arbitrary, and any rational would have yielded an answer.

9. Nov 9, 2004 #8

uart

Science Advisor

With the corrected equation (15 = xy + 7/x + 7/y), I don't think there is any possible rational solution for x and y other than the integer solution (x=1, y=1). I'm not sure how to prove that though.

10. Nov 9, 2004 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Damn, buggered that one up then.

need 15xy=x^2y^2 +7y+7x, so y is rational iff (7-15x)^2 - 28x^3 has rational square root (for some rational x) which seems too hard to solve, so I think we should assume that they meant that m was an integer, but let's try: we need to find a/b=x such that

(7b-15a)^2/b^2 - 28a^3/b^3 is a perfect square, If we let b be a square number, then it suffices (though is not necessary) that

b(7b-15a)^2-28a^3 is also a square. Anyone any suggestions?

In general though there is no theorem that states: if P is a monic poly with rational roots, then all but one coeff integer implies the last one must be: consider

x^2 - ax+1, If a=2, then there are two integer solutions, though in general

a=p+q where p=1/q and p is any rational will do, and I don't see it changing generally for higher degree polys: it really will depend on the poly in question.

11. Nov 9, 2004 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What if m=-x? No one said it was a constant.

12. Nov 9, 2004 #11
    It was stated that it is a polynomial. And, polynomials are in the form of [tex] a_{n}x^{n} + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + a_{n-2}x^{n-2}+...+a_{2}x^{2}+a_{1}x^{1}+a_{0}[/tex] where the a's are constant coefficients. So it is assumed that "m" in his problem would be a constant coefficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook