Are All Zeros of a Polynomial Ring in Z(subscript 6) Factors of 6?

In summary, x^2 + 3*x + 2 has four zeros in Z(subscript 6): x=1, x=2, x=4, and x=5. The roots can be found by checking each number in Z(subscript 6) in the polynomial expression, as well as considering zero divisors in the form of (x+1)(x+2)=0. Factoring is not a guaranteed method to find all roots in this case.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Show that x^2 +3*x+2 has four zeros in Z(subscript 6),

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x^2+3*x+2=(x+1)(x+2)=0=>x=2, and x=1

6*1=6
3*2=6

according to the back of my textbook , the other two zeroes for x^2+3*x+2 are x=4 and x=5. is it because x=4 and x=5 are nonfactors of 6?

Physics news on Phys.org
The roots of (x+1)(x+2) over the reals are x=(-1) and x=(-2), which are congruent to 4 and 5 mod 6. So the real question is why x=1 and x=2? The problem is that Z(6) has zero divisors, e.g. 2*3=0. So you can't conclude from (x+1)(x+2)=0 that (x+1)=0 or (x+2)=0.

Dick said:
The roots of (x+1)(x+2) over the reals are x=(-1) and x=(-2), which are congruent to 4 and 5 mod 6. So the real question is why x=1 and x=2? The problem is that Z(6) has zero divisors, e.g. 2*3=0. So you can't conclude from (x+1)(x+2)=0 that (x+1)=0 or (x+2)=0.

Sorry, I meant to right x=-2 and x=-1 . how are x=(-1) and x=(-2) congruent to 4 and 5?

-2 is congruent to 4 and -1 is congruent to 5, because in each case the difference is divisible by 6.

Dick said:
-2 is congruent to 4 and -1 is congruent to 5, because in each case the difference is divisible by 6.

I see a pattern if you take the difference between 4-(-2) and 5-(-1) the result for both factors are 6. Would you used this approach to find numbers divisble by 6 given the x values you found from x^2+3*x+2

That only gives you 4 and 5. It doesn't give you 1 and 2, which are also roots. Unless you know a better system, it's safest to check all possible numbers to see if they are roots.

Dick said:
That only gives you 4 and 5. It doesn't give you 1 and 2, which are also roots. Unless you know a better system, it's safest to check all possible numbers to see if they are roots.

I know how to find the roots for x=-1 and x=-2 you just used the system you were taught in high school for breaking up one polynomial expression to two or more polynomial expressions. I wasn't completely sure how to find the zeroes for the other two roots.

Factoring it is not guaranteed to find all roots for the reasons I pointed out in the first post.

Dick said:
Factoring it is not guaranteed to find all roots for the reasons I pointed out in the first post.

what alternative approach would I used besides factoring to find the zeroes
?

Last edited:
Offhand, I don't know of a system if the base isn't a prime. I would say you want to also look at zero divisors. Since 2*3=0 and 4*3=0, (x+1)(x+2)=0 could also mean x+1=2, x+2=3 (which gives you x=1) or x+1=3, x+2=4 (which gives you x=2). Since 6 is a small number, you could also just check all possibilities.

Since there are only 6 members of [itex]Z_6[/itex], a "brute strength" method would be to put each number into the polynomial and see what happens!
Obviously [itex]0^2+ 3(0)+ 2= 2[/itex], [itex]1^2+ 3(1)+ 2= 6= 0 (mod 6)[/itex], [itex]2^2+ 3(2)+ 2= 12= 0 (mod 6)[/itex], [itex]3^2+ 3*3+ 2= 20= 2 (mod 6)[/itex], [itex]4^2+ 3(4)+ 2= 30= 0 (mod 6)[/itex], [itex]5^2+ 3(5)+ 2= 42= 0[/itex] (mod 6).

Hey Halls, I think over here we call it "brute force" instead of "brute strength". :).

Well, you have to have "brute strength" in order to use "brute force"! The important thing is being a brute.

What is a polynomial ring?

A polynomial ring is a mathematical structure consisting of polynomials with coefficients from a given field or ring. It is denoted by the symbol R[x], where R represents the underlying ring and x represents an indeterminate variable.

What is the degree of a polynomial ring?

The degree of a polynomial ring is the highest exponent of the variable x in any of its polynomials. For example, the polynomial ring R[x] has a degree of 3 if its highest degree polynomial is x^3.

How are operations performed in a polynomial ring?

Operations in a polynomial ring are performed using the same rules as regular polynomial operations. Addition and subtraction of polynomials are done by combining like terms, and multiplication is done by distributing the terms and then combining like terms. Division in a polynomial ring is more complex and involves using the concept of remainder and quotient.

What is the difference between a polynomial ring and a polynomial function?

A polynomial ring is a mathematical structure, while a polynomial function is a mapping between two sets. A polynomial function takes in a value for the indeterminate x and produces a result, while a polynomial ring is a collection of all possible polynomials with coefficients from a given ring or field.

What is the importance of polynomial rings in mathematics?

Polynomial rings have many important applications in mathematics, including in algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They are also used in computer science and coding theory. Additionally, polynomial rings are useful for representing and solving various mathematical problems, making them an essential tool for mathematicians and scientists.