Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial system, apparently for real champs

1. May 27, 2004 #1

I have now been working for a couple of days on the following system without finding any real clue...

Could someone give me a help?
    If there wouldn't be any mathematical way to solve (we never know), could someone detail me how to solve it programmatically?

In advance, many thanks

-x + y + z + 2A sin(y-z) = C
    -x + y - z + 2A sin(x-z) = C
    x + y - z + 2A sin(x-y) = C

where A, C are constant and A, x, y, z are not equal to 0
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that isn't a polynomial system, so you're mis-selling the question. as long as C isn't zero then the constraints that A x,y,z are not zero is unnecessary.
  4. May 27, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure the RHS of your second equation is not -C ? If it is, then your 3 equations are cyclically symmetric. If not, it's harder to solve.

In fact, I'm thinking there probably isn't an analytical solution. So you might have to solve it numerically after all.
  5. May 27, 2004 #4
    And on top of that, it might be difficult to find a numerical solution that's stable and converges.
  6. May 27, 2004 #5
    I'm curious where this problem comes from. Maybe some context would give a few clues on what kind of solution we're looking for.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?