Finding Polynomial Equations with Points

But for a quadratic, if you have the vertex, you can determine the equation from it and one other point. And not all quadratics have real zeros (as in your example with (2,4) and (3,16)), so the zeros are not always relevant.
jasonlr82794
Hey guys, I know what polynomials are but what I really don't understand is the way you are able to find the equation to a set amount of points. I don't understand why you have to have a certain amount of points to find different degrees of functions. For example, why are only three points needed to find a second degree function? And how would I find the equation to a graph if I randomly insert a random point. For example, I have 0,0 1,1 2,4 and then I am suppose to have 3,9 but I changed it to 3,16? How would I find this function?

Physics news on Phys.org
jasonlr82794 said:
Hey guys, I know what polynomials are but what I really don't understand is the way you are able to find the equation to a set amount of points. I don't understand why you have to have a certain amount of points to find different degrees of functions. For example, why are only three points needed to find a second degree function? And how would I find the equation to a graph if I randomly insert a random point. For example, I have 0,0 1,1 2,4 and then I am suppose to have 3,9 but I changed it to 3,16? How would I find this function?

You didn't ask about linear functions, but I'll include them. Lines that aren't vertical have an equation of the form y = ax + b. To determine the constants a and b you need two points, which will give you two equations in the unknowns a and b.

A quadratic function has the form y = ax2 + bx + c. To determine a, b, and c, you need three equations, which you can get from three points.

If you had the points (0, 0), (1, 1), (2, 4), and (3, 9), you could use these points to find the equation of the third-degree polynomial (a cubic) of the form y = ax3 + bx2 + cx + d.

If you change one of the points that you're working with, you'll get different values for a, b, c, and d.

Ok, that does help but why do I only need two for a linear, three for a quadratic, and so on?

jasonlr82794 said:
Ok, that does help but why do I only need two for a linear, three for a quadratic, and so on?
I explained that. A linear equation (y = ax + b) has two unknown constants, a and b. You need two points on the line so that you can generate two equations in the two unknowns. Similarly for a quadratic function, there are three unknown constants, so you need three points, so you can get three equations that involve a, b, and c.

In general, for an nth degree polynomial y = a0xn + a1xn-1 + ... + an-1x + an, there are n + 1 constants, so you need n + 1 points.

Ok, this to an extent helps me but one my friends was talking to me and he said something to the effect that you need certain points that are the characteristic on that function. Do these constants have anything to do with these characteristics of these functions?

I don't know what that means. You'll need to ask your friend to be more specific.

And also, I don't think you understand where I am coming from. If you are given any amount of points, it doesn't matter how many and you don't have a graph of the function, just the points, how would you be able to determine the function and along with that the degree(im aware once you know the function you will know the degree). How would you be able to determine which polynomial equation(y=ax+b, y=ax^2+bx+c, and so on) to use to find this function? If you don't get what I mean I will try to restate it. I know on tests they give you the set amount of points that you need then you must figure out what equation to use but that's just not even intuitive especially if a teacher tells you that you only need three points to find a quadratic and you know that you need that equation. I guess I am kind of thinking outside of the box.

If you have n + 1 points, you can always fit them to an n-th degree polynomial. This is sort of the converse of what I said at the end of post #4.

So, if you have two points, you can find a first degree (linear) polynomial.
Three points - quadratic polynomial.
And so on.

The rule is that through any two points only one line can exist. With the quadratics the three points give you the vertex and the zeros. This is exactly what he said so is this true and if so must these points always be the vertex and the zeros?

jasonlr82794 said:
The rule is that through any two points only one line can exist. With the quadratics the three points give you the vertex and the zeros.
With a quadratic, if you have any three points, you can determine the equation. If you are given the vertex point, all you need is one other point and you can find the equation. By symmetry, you can figure out where the third point is.

For example, if the vertex is at, say, (2, 1), and you are given the point (3, 3), the third point would have to be (1, 3). So now you have three points and you're ready to find the equation of the quadratic.
jasonlr82794 said:
This is exactly what he said so is this true and if so must these points always be the vertex and the zeros?
No. For an equation of degree n, any n+1 points will do.

What is the purpose of finding polynomial equations with points?

The purpose of finding polynomial equations with points is to represent a set of points on a graph using a single polynomial function. This allows for easier analysis and prediction of values between the given points.

What are the steps to find a polynomial equation with points?

The steps to find a polynomial equation with points are as follows:
1. Determine the degree of the polynomial by counting the number of given points.
2. Write a general polynomial equation with the determined degree, using the form y = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0.
3. Substitute the given points into the equation, creating a system of equations.
4. Solve the system of equations to find the values of the coefficients.
5. Write the final polynomial equation using the determined coefficients.

What are some common mistakes when finding polynomial equations with points?

Some common mistakes when finding polynomial equations with points include:
- Forgetting to include the constant term (a0) in the general polynomial equation.
- Using the wrong degree for the polynomial equation.
- Making errors when solving the system of equations, leading to incorrect coefficients.
- Not checking the accuracy of the final equation by substituting the given points.

What if there are more points than the degree of the polynomial?

If there are more points than the degree of the polynomial, it is not possible to find a single polynomial equation that passes through all the given points. In this case, a best-fit line or curve can be used to approximate the points.

Can a polynomial equation have negative exponents?

No, a polynomial equation cannot have negative exponents. A polynomial is an expression consisting of variables, coefficients, and exponents, where the exponents must be non-negative integers.