1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial Word Problem

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A package sent by a courier has the shape of a square prism. The sum of the length of the prism and the perimeter of its base is 100cm. Write a polynomial function to represent the volume V of the package in terms of x.
    width and height are in x centimeters, length is in y centimeters

3. The attempt at a solution

4x+y=100
    4x+y-100
    V(x)=(x^2)(y)(4x+y-100)
    V(x)=(4x^3y + x^2y^2 - 100x^2y)
    V(x)=x^2y(4x+y-100)

This is as far as I got, am I going in the right direction? Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From your first equation above, solve for y to get the length of the prism in terms of x.

Your formula for volume is incorrect, I believe, but I don't know how the problem is defining the term "prism." Is it just a rectangular box? If so, the volume is length x width x height. The volume shouldn't also include the perimeter.

4. Sep 22, 2014 #3
    Thank you very much, I was able to solve the question. And yes, it was just a rectangular box.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted