How to Determine Irreducible Polynomials in (Z/2Z)[x]?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding all monic polynomials of degrees 2 and 3 in (Z/2Z)[x] and determining which ones are irreducible. It also mentions writing the remaining polynomials as products of irreducible factors. The polynomials of degree 2 are listed as x², x²+1, x²+x, and x²+x+1. The polynomials of degree 3 are listed as x^3, x^3+x^2, x^3+x^2+x, x^3+x^2+x+1, x^3+x+1, x^3+x^2+1, x^3+1, and x^3+x.
silvermane
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find all monic polynomials of degrees 2 and 3 in (Z/2Z)[x]. Determine which ones are irreducible, and write the others as products of irreducible factors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that factors of degree 1 correspond to roots in Z/2Z and that monic polynomials are polynomials where the top term coefficient is equal to 1. I think I'm not understanding what I'm supposed to do, or how to write them via modulus.

Any hints or tips are greatly appreciated! :)
Please no answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the polynomials of dregree 2:

x²+1
x²+x
x²+x+1

Can you now find all the polynomials of degree 3? There are 8 of them.

So It's pretty much just combinations of functions with an X^2 for degree 2, and other terms such as x and 1 for the lesser degrees.

Furthermore, for x^3, we would have this:

x^3
X^3 +x^2
X^3 +x^2+x
X^3 +x^2+x+1
X^3 +x+1
X^3 +x^2+1
X^3 +1
X^3 +x

Thanks for your help!
I think I can handle it from here :)

Yes!

Good luck!

1. What are polynomials?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can have one or more terms, and the highest power of the variable in a term is called the degree of the polynomial.

2. How do you add and subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, combine like terms by adding or subtracting the coefficients of the same degree. For example, to add 2x^2 + 3x + 1 and 4x^2 + 2x + 5, we would combine the like terms (2x^2 and 4x^2, 3x and 2x, and 1 and 5) to get 6x^2 + 5x + 6.

3. What is the remainder when dividing two polynomials?

The remainder when dividing two polynomials is the expression that is left over after the division is complete. It is usually written in the form of r(x)/d(x), where r(x) is the remainder and d(x) is the divisor.

4. What is the modulus of a polynomial?

The modulus of a polynomial is the positive value of the remainder when dividing the polynomial by a given value or divisor. It is often used to find solutions to polynomial equations and to determine whether a given value is a root of the polynomial.

5. How do you solve polynomial equations?

To solve polynomial equations, set the polynomial equal to zero and use various methods such as factoring, quadratic formula, or synthetic division to find the roots of the equation. The number of roots will be equal to the degree of the polynomial.