1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomials & divisibility

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A polynomial p(x) leaves the rest 3 when divided by (x+2) and the rest 8 when divided by (x-6). What's the rest r(x) when p(x) is divided by (x+2)(x-6)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote the three equations:

p(x)=q1(x+2) + 3
    p(x)=q2(x-6) + 8
    p(x)=q3(x+2)(x-6) + r(x)

And I've tried rearranging them and I've tried to find what p(x) is and I've tried some other random things and it doesn't work out. I think the main problem is that I don't know at which angle to approach this problem and that I don't know how to reason about it..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Hannisch! :smile:
    Hint: now use the fact that r(x) must be of the form Ax + B :wink:

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Multiply your first equation by (x-6) and your second equation by (x+2) and subtract them.

5. Sep 26, 2009 #4
    I can get an answer using Dick's method:

p(x)=q3(x+2)(x-6)+ (5/8)x + (34/8), where q3 = (q2-q1)/8

But I don't know if it's correct or not? (I think it is, because I've got another problem just like this one that I do have the answers to and I applied the same method and got the correct answer.)

And I'm not sure how to apply tiny-tim's tip? I mean, sure I can put p(x)=q3(x+2)(x-6) + r(x) = p(x)=q3(x+2)(x-6) + ax + b, and then again try to fix it, but basically I fall back into the same stupid situation I was in before..

6. Sep 26, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

tiny-tim is just suggesting you use p(-2)=3=r(-2) and p(6)=8=r(6). If you set r(x)=ax+b, that's two equations in the two unknowns, a and b. And your answer is just fine. Check it with this method.

7. Sep 27, 2009 #6
    Ohh, I get it now (it took me a while, I've really stared myself blind on this problem)! Anyway, I do get the same answer now (I got it wrong first, but it was a ridiculous mistake, really), so thank you very, very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook