Divisibility of Polynomials: Finding the Remainder

In summary, when a polynomial p(x) is divided by (x+2) it leaves a remainder of 3, and when divided by (x-6) it leaves a remainder of 8. To find the remainder r(x) when p(x) is divided by (x+2)(x-6), set r(x) = ax + b and use the equations p(-2)=3 and p(6)=8 to solve for a and b. The resulting remainder is (5/8)x + (34/8).
Hannisch

Homework Statement

A polynomial p(x) leaves the rest 3 when divided by (x+2) and the rest 8 when divided by (x-6). What's the rest r(x) when p(x) is divided by (x+2)(x-6)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote the three equations:

p(x)=q1(x+2) + 3
p(x)=q2(x-6) + 8
p(x)=q3(x+2)(x-6) + r(x)

And I've tried rearranging them and I've tried to find what p(x) is and I've tried some other random things and it doesn't work out. I think the main problem is that I don't know at which angle to approach this problem and that I don't know how to reason about it..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hannisch! :smile:
Hannisch said:
p(x)=q1(x+2) + 3
p(x)=q2(x-6) + 8
p(x)=q3(x+2)(x-6) + r(x)

Hint: now use the fact that r(x) must be of the form Ax + B :wink:

Multiply your first equation by (x-6) and your second equation by (x+2) and subtract them.

I can get an answer using Dick's method:

p(x)=q3(x+2)(x-6)+ (5/8)x + (34/8), where q3 = (q2-q1)/8

But I don't know if it's correct or not? (I think it is, because I've got another problem just like this one that I do have the answers to and I applied the same method and got the correct answer.)

And I'm not sure how to apply tiny-tim's tip? I mean, sure I can put p(x)=q3(x+2)(x-6) + r(x) = p(x)=q3(x+2)(x-6) + ax + b, and then again try to fix it, but basically I fall back into the same stupid situation I was in before..

tiny-tim is just suggesting you use p(-2)=3=r(-2) and p(6)=8=r(6). If you set r(x)=ax+b, that's two equations in the two unknowns, a and b. And your answer is just fine. Check it with this method.

Ohh, I get it now (it took me a while, I've really stared myself blind on this problem)! Anyway, I do get the same answer now (I got it wrong first, but it was a ridiculous mistake, really), so thank you very, very much!

What are polynomials?

Polynomials are algebraic expressions that consist of variables and coefficients. These expressions can contain one or more terms, and the terms can be combined using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. A polynomial can also be written in a standard form, with the terms arranged in descending order according to their degree.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest power of the variable in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because the variable x is raised to the second power. The degree of a polynomial can help determine the behavior and characteristics of the polynomial, such as the number of roots and the end behavior.

What is the remainder theorem?

The remainder theorem is a mathematical rule that states that when a polynomial P(x) is divided by a linear factor x-a, the remainder is equal to P(a). In other words, if we plug in the value of a into the polynomial, the resulting value will be the remainder. This theorem is useful for determining factors and roots of polynomials.

How do you determine if a polynomial is divisible by another polynomial?

In order for a polynomial to be divisible by another polynomial, the remainder when dividing them must be equal to zero. This can be determined by using the polynomial long division method or by using the factor theorem. If the remainder is not equal to zero, then the polynomials are not divisible.

What is the greatest common factor (GCF) of a polynomial?

The greatest common factor (GCF) of a polynomial is the largest polynomial that can divide evenly into all of the terms of the original polynomial. In other words, it is the largest expression that can be factored out of all the terms. Finding the GCF can be helpful in simplifying and factoring polynomials.