1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomials, Help with

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    Hello, I face this problem:

X^3 + X - 71 = (X^2 + 4X + 16)Q(X) + R(X), where Q and R are polynomials. Decide which they are.

I got that Q(X) = (X + 1/4) and that R(X) = - 75, but apparently it is wrong. I am stuck and don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think R(x) should include a term with x or perhaps x^2 to cancel out the redundant x's and perhaps the x^2's created by (X^2 + 4X + 16)Q(x).

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    You let Q(x) = Ax + B and R(x) = Cx + D.
    Substitute it into the equation and you'll get (X^2 + 4X + 16)(Ax + B) + (Cx + D).
    The next step is for you to expand the above expression as per normal. Then you group the terms according to the degree of x and then equate the coefficients accordingly with X^3 + X - 71.
    As a check, you should get A=1.

5. Sep 25, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could just use polynomial division to divide x^3+x-71 by x^2+4x+16 to get a quotient and remainder, which would be Q(x) and R(x) and eliminate this guesswork.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?