Polynomial Division: Finding Q(X) and R(X)

• Thread starter stefanB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation involving polynomials Q(x) and R(x). The person is trying to determine the values of Q(x) and R(x) and has attempted to solve for them using a guess of Q(x) = (X + 1/4) and R(x) = - 75. However, this is incorrect and they are seeking help to find the correct solution. The suggested method is to let Q(x) = Ax + B and R(x) = Cx + D and substitute it into the equation and expand the expression. Then, the terms can be grouped and the coefficients can be equated to solve for A. An alternative method is to use polynomial division.
stefanB
Hello, I face this problem:

X^3 + X - 71 = (X^2 + 4X + 16)Q(X) + R(X), where Q and R are polynomials. Decide which they are.

I got that Q(X) = (X + 1/4) and that R(X) = - 75, but apparently it is wrong. I am stuck and don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think R(x) should include a term with x or perhaps x^2 to cancel out the redundant x's and perhaps the x^2's created by (X^2 + 4X + 16)Q(x).

You let Q(x) = Ax + B and R(x) = Cx + D.
Substitute it into the equation and you'll get (X^2 + 4X + 16)(Ax + B) + (Cx + D).
The next step is for you to expand the above expression as per normal. Then you group the terms according to the degree of x and then equate the coefficients accordingly with X^3 + X - 71.
As a check, you should get A=1.

You could just use polynomial division to divide x^3+x-71 by x^2+4x+16 to get a quotient and remainder, which would be Q(x) and R(x) and eliminate this guesswork.

1. What are polynomials?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression made up of variables and coefficients, using only the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can have one or more terms, and the degree of a polynomial is determined by the highest exponent of the variable.

2. How do I identify the degree of a polynomial?

To identify the degree of a polynomial, look at the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because the variable x has an exponent of 2 in the first term.

3. What is the difference between a monomial, binomial, and trinomial?

A monomial is a polynomial with one term, a binomial has two terms, and a trinomial has three terms. These terms can be combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication to create more complex polynomials.

4. How do I add or subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, simply combine like terms. Like terms have the same variable and exponent. For example, in the expression 3x^2 + 5x^2, the terms 3x^2 and 5x^2 are like terms and can be combined to get 8x^2.

5. Can polynomials have negative exponents?

Yes, polynomials can have negative exponents. This is known as a rational expression. For example, 1/x^2 is a polynomial with a negative exponent. Negative exponents indicate that the variable is in the denominator of the fraction.