Finding Roots for a Challenging Polynomial Equation

In summary, the conversation revolved around factoring the polynomial x^4+4x^3+14x^2=-4x-13. After some discussion and attempts at factoring, it was determined that the polynomial could be factored as (x^2+1)(x^2+4x+13). This simplified the problem and made it easier to find the roots using the quadratic formula. In the end, it was agreed that relying on the work of others is the easiest way to solve the problem.
thomasrules
What are the ROots:

x^4+4x^3+14x^2=-4x-13

ok the 13 really causes a problem because you can't factor that.
So I move the right side to the left and then you can't find a number that fits so that it equals zero so I tried factoring it somehow but can't do it can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a fairly evil problem to give you, but oh well (if I needed to solve it, I'd just throw it into maple and not think about it!).

It's written that way for a reason. Factor the left side and rearrange to change it to

[tex]x^2(x^2 + 4x + 14) + (4x + 13) = 0.[/tex]

Do you see how to factor it now?

no lol

well i have to use the quadratic formula?

Yes, and all the roots are complex. Are you sure you don't see how to factor that? I'll rewrite it this way:

[tex]x^2(x^2 + 4x + 13) + x^2 + (4x + 13) = 0[/tex]

i thought u were trying to lead me to grouping them to factor but doesn't look like that...

NEVER MIND HOLD ON IM RETARDED

Hey Data take a look :

[tex](x^2+1)(x^2+4x+13)[/tex]

?

looks good :smile:

<3 you :!)

in matlab:

>>p= x^4+4x^3+14x^2+4x+13;
>>roots(p)its very easy...heheh

Yes, relying on the previous work of intelligent people is always the easiest way.

1. What are polynomials?

Polynomials are mathematical expressions that consist of variables, coefficients, and exponents. They can have one or more terms, and the terms are combined using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do you add and subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, you simply combine like terms. Like terms have the same variable and exponent. For example, to add 3x^2 + 5x and 2x^2 - 4x, you would combine the x^2 terms (3x^2 + 2x^2 = 5x^2) and the x terms (5x - 4x = x) to get a final answer of 5x^2 + x.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent in the expression. For example, the polynomial 3x^3 + 2x^2 - 5x + 1 has a degree of 3 because the highest exponent is 3.

4. How do you multiply polynomials?

To multiply polynomials, you can use the distributive property or the FOIL method. The distributive property involves multiplying each term in the first polynomial by each term in the second polynomial and then combining like terms. The FOIL method is a shortcut for multiplying two binomials and stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last.

5. How do you divide polynomials?

To divide polynomials, you can use long division or synthetic division. Long division is similar to dividing numbers, but with polynomials. Synthetic division is a quicker method for dividing by binomials and uses a shortcut with the coefficients of the terms.