1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomials: Number of Roots

1. Jun 26, 2010 #1

jgens

Gold Member

I'm trying to prove that a polynomial function of degree [itex]n[/itex] has at most [itex]n[/itex] roots. I was thinking that I could accomplish this by induction on the degree of the polynomial but I wanted to make sure that this would work first. If someone could let me know if this approach will work, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you give it a shot and see what happens. Induction is probably the most common way to prove this

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One approach is going backwards. Given one root for a polynomial of degree n, you can use synthetic division to get a polynomial of degree n-1 for the rest of the roots. Continue until the polynomial is down to 0=0. You can do this exactly n times.

5. Jun 27, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]x_1[/itex], [itex]x_2[/itex], ..., [itex]x_n[/itex] are the roots of a polynomial equation, then the polynomial is [itex]a(x- x_1)(x- x_2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(x- x_n)[/itex] for some number a. Multiplied out, that has degree n.

Notice that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n roots if we count "multiplicity" (if [itex]x_1= x_2[/itex] that still counts as "two roots") and if we count complex roots. Counting only distinct real roots, there still cannot be more than n roots.

6. Jun 27, 2010 #5

disregardthat

Science Advisor

This is usually treated as a theorem of what OP's about to prove. I think it is at least most pedagogical to start out without the above, and rather let it be a corollary, thus keeping the 'natural order'.

7. Jun 28, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you could do, then, is prove that a polynomial of degree n has at least one (complex) solution. Then show that dividing the polynomial by x-a where a is that root, gives a polynomial of degree n-1. Since a polynomial cannot have degree less than 0, there can be, at most, n roots.

8. Jun 28, 2010 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An example of a ring where polynomials fail to have at most n roots is the ring of integers modulo 8. The polynomial f(x)=x2-1 has, in fact, 4 distinct roots: 1, 3, 5, and 7.

Proving there are at most n roots over a field is not a trivial thing. It is not a hard, but it is subtle -- easy to overlook relevant points.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  9. Jun 28, 2010 #8

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Is not the fact that it is an integral domain sufficient?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook