Polynomials of different degrees and a related monomial

In summary, the author is asking if there is a specific bxk that reduces the degree of (f - bxkg) to be less than n.
saadsarfraz

Homework Statement

Let f, g be nonzero polynomials with deg (f) [tex]\geq[/tex] deg (g). Show that there
is a unique monomial bx[tex]^{k}[/tex] where deg(f(x) - bx[tex]^{k}[/tex]g(x)) < deg (f).

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I define polynomials f and g, with deg(f) = n and deg (g) = m and n[tex]\geq[/tex]m
and let the monomial be h(x) so h(x)g(x) = l(x) and using the theorem deg(h(x)g(x)) = deg(h(x)+g(x)) and therefore deg l(x) = k + m. so overall i have to find deg(f(x)-l(x)) but this is equal to f(x) not less than f(x), how do I show its less than f(x).

Physics news on Phys.org

In other words you have a polynomial f = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... , and you have another one g = cmxm + cm-1xm-1 + ...
where n > m .

And you are asked if you can find a bxk that can make the degree of
(f - bxkg) less than n.

In other words the coefficient of xn in the polynomial (f - bxkg) has to be what?

the coefficient has to be 0 than I think? but degree k+m still could be greater than n as we don't know anything about k.

You are just asked can you find, will you always be able to find, a k (and a b) that gives you the result you want?

Maybe you would find it easier if you first considered a concrete case. I can choose any polynomials that come into my head as long as n >or= m.

f = 5x3 + 10x2 + 2x + 8.5 and g = 3x + 2 comes into my head.

Can you find a b and k for that that gives you a reduced degree result for (f - bxkg) ?

What are polynomials of different degrees?

Polynomials are mathematical expressions that consist of one or more terms, where each term is a product of a coefficient and a variable raised to a non-negative integer exponent. The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression.

How do you determine the degree of a polynomial?

To determine the degree of a polynomial, identify the term with the highest exponent of the variable and that will be the degree of the polynomial. For example, in the polynomial 5x^3 + 2x^2 + 7x + 1, the term with the highest exponent is 5x^3, so the degree of the polynomial is 3.

What is a monomial?

A monomial is a polynomial with only one term. It can consist of a constant, a variable, or a combination of both. For example, 3x^2 and 5xy are both monomials.

How are polynomials of different degrees and monomials related?

A monomial can be considered as a polynomial with a degree of 0. This means that a monomial is a special case of a polynomial. Additionally, monomials can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided to create polynomials of different degrees.

Can you give an example of a polynomial with different degrees and a related monomial?

Yes, the polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 1 has terms with different degrees (3, 2, 1, and 0 respectively). The monomial 3x is related to this polynomial because it can be factored out to get 3x(2x^2 + 5x + 1), which is a polynomial with a degree of 2.