1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomials question

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the minimum possible value for [tex]a^{2}+b^{2}[/tex] where a and b are real such that the following equation has at least one real root.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]x^{4}+ax^{3}+bx^{2}+ax+1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to find the roots of the equation and then find a relationship between them but that didn't workout very well for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are general equations for those roots, but I don't think they are useful here.

- For b=2, there is a nice factorization. This might correspond to the solution, but I don't know how to show that.
    - For minimal a^2+b^2, the polynomial has exactly one real root of degree 2. As complex roots come in pairs (for real coefficients), the polynomial can be written as (x+c)^2(x^2+dx+e) for some real c,d,e. It might be possible to solve this directly.

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    Here is another way to think about it:

If ##x^4+ax^3+bx^2+ax+1## has at least one real root, then that means its graph must intersect the x-axis. Since this is a 4th degree equation with a positive leading coefficient the tails of the graph both go off towards positive infinity. Therefore, if the minimum point on the graph is negative, then the graph crosses the x-axis at some point, and therefore it has real roots.

This would change your problem statement to: "Find the minimum possible value of ##a^2+b^2## such that the minimum value of ##x^4+ax^3+bx^2+ax+1## is less than zero"

This will still be a mess, but perhaps it is a more manageable mess than the original? (I haven't tried to solve it, but if this is a multivariable calculus class perhaps you could turn this into a constrained optimization problem with variables a, b, and x???)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. Mar 14, 2013 #4
    I think this it:

You can show that any real solution of ##x^4+ax^3+bx^2+ax+1=0## is also a solution of ##x^4-ax^3+bx^2-ax+1=0##. Then you can combine these two equations and get that this solution must be a solution of ##x^4+bx^2+1=0##. But this is great, because you can show from here that ##b^2 \geq 4##. Since you know that letting a=0 and b=2 gives you real solution, you can be confident that this also gives you the least solution.

6. Mar 14, 2013 #5
    How can we show that any real solution of ##x^4+ax^3+bx^2+ax+1=0## is also a solution of ##x^4-ax^3+bx^2-ax+1=0##?

7. Mar 14, 2013 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is a 'reciprocal equation' - if x is a root, 1/x is also a root.

It can be solved conveniently dividing it by x2 and expressing it in the variable z = (x + 1/x).

You might see a way to answer the question on the way before getting to the solution of the equation.

8. Mar 14, 2013 #7

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Not quite:

##x^4+4x^3+6x^2+4x+1=(x+1)^3## , but ##x^4-4x^3+6x^2-4x+1=(x-1)^3##

(BTW, this gives you a not-so-great lower bound of ##4^2+6^2=52## for ##a^2+b^2## **)

Still, you do know that if there is one real root, there are at least two, since if

you have a real root, your polynomial splits as a product of a monic and a cubic

and every cubic ( or odd-degree poly.) has a real root, since complex roots come in pairs.

So you get ##x^4+ax^3+bx^2+ax+1=(x^2+cx+d)(x^2+ex+f)##

where, WOLG the left poly ##(x^2+cx+d)## splits *

You can then play around with the Galois groups to make sure the lefthand poly. splits.

Note too, that if x<0 and b is positive, it makes it harder for your poly. to have a root, so you want it to be small if positve, or,

even better, to have b negative. Similarly, you want |a|>|b| , since , for x negative, the a coefficient lower the value of

f(x) and a raises it.

* If the poly. doesn't split, then you must acquit.

** Note that ##x^4+x^3+x+1## , which is the substitution a=1 and b=0 , has -1 as a double-root.

9. Mar 14, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oooh. That's useful. So, in the extreme case where there is exactly one real root, then x=1/x. Nice hint.

10. Mar 14, 2013 #9

Bacle2

Science Advisor

You mean up to multiplicity, right? Otherwise , if there is one real root, there must be at

least two real roots ( up to multiplicity), since then f(x) splits as the product of a monic and

cubic .

And by epenquin's answer , the second poly. is of the form

## x^2+ex+1## , and the first is ##(x±1)^2##

And then it is relatively-clean to expand :

##(x^2+ex+1)(x±1)^2## and set it equal to f(x) (which I'll do later when I have more time).

11. Mar 14, 2013 #10
    How is it even possible that there is only 1 real root? Since it is a quartic shouldn't be there 0, 2, or 4?

12. Mar 14, 2013 #11

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Yes, you're right, (I mentioned that in my post); if there is one root, then f(x) is the product

of a monic and a cubic , and the cubic must have at least one real root), so f(x) splits

as the product of 2 monics and a quadratic.

13. Mar 14, 2013 #12
    ok, but I thought we have to count multiplicities?

14. Mar 14, 2013 #13

Bacle2

Science Advisor

But I think it makes a difference to check multiplicities, since there is a difference between a poly. with a double real root and a complex root (with its conjugate) , and having a poly. with four real roots.

Sorry, my posts were all-over the place; this problem is too difficult for me to do it on-and-off while doing something else.

15. Mar 14, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can count them if you want. But having at least one real root doesn't depend on the multiplicity. The idea I'm trying to follow is that as you decrease a^2+b^2 then at some point there is exactly one real root (and yes, it will have multiplicity at least 2 and possibly 4). That leads back to epenguins hint.

16. Mar 14, 2013 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's ok. Now you've got me worried. I'm trying to say that at the minimal value of a^2+b^2 there is exactly one real root. Hence that root satisfies 1/x=x. But suppose at the minimal value there are TWO real roots. Like 1/2 and 2 both multiplicity 2. Then as you decrease a^2+b^2 then both roots go away at the same time. That seems pretty unlikely, but it's still a gap that needs closing.

17. Mar 14, 2013 #16

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Sorry, have not been too focused here, but maybe we can use the fact here that

1 is an upper bound for ##a^2+b^2## , since a=1 and b=0 leads to f(x) having -1

as a root.

18. Mar 14, 2013 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. There's a lot of upper bounds. And 0 is certainly a lower bound where there are no real roots. The trick is to use some property that happens exactly at the lower bound. Keep thinking about it. If I assume there is exactly one real root at the lower bound with multiplicity 2, then I think I've got it. If there are two, I don't. It's a challenging question.

19. Mar 15, 2013 #18
    This question is from the IMO btw.

20. Mar 15, 2013 #19

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Great. I was sure that the symmetry could be used in some way, but did not see the trick.

This simplifies my equation in post 2...

Edit: Hmm, that might be a problem.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  21. Mar 15, 2013 #20
    The equation is palindromic, so the standard technique is: $$
    x^4 + ax^3 + bx^2 + ax + 1 = 0

\\ \Rightarrow x^2 + ax + b + a/x + 1/x^2 = 0

\\ \Rightarrow X^2 + pX + q = 0 $$ where ## X = 1/x + x ##. The resultant quadratic is then analyzed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted