Solving Polynomials - Answers to Common Questions

In summary, Q(x) is a polynomial of degree 3 and the zeroes of x^2-1 are x=\pm 1. To solve for a and b, substitute x=1 and x=-1 into the given equation and solve simultaneously. In the second equation, choose values of x that will eliminate the P(x) term when substituted.
Kyoma
i'm pretty new to polynomials and I have qns, which I do not know how to solve.

x5 + ax3 + bx2 - 3 = (x2 - 1)Q(x)- x - 2

Q(x) is a polynomial. Solve a and b.

I know the degree of Q(x) is 3, so I subst Q(x) into x3, but I got stuck.

Help. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know what Q(x) is. The zeroes of [tex]x^2-1[/tex] are [tex]x=\pm 1[/tex] so if you substitute x=1 into the entire equality, that Q(x) part cancels since anything times zero is zero (your 'anything' is the Q(x)) and then you'll get an equation in a and b. Then substitute the other value of x to get another equation in a and b. Solve simultaneously and you're done! :smile:

Thank you very much.

How about this:

4x3 + 5x - 2 = (x+2)(x-1)P(x) + ax + b

Find a and b. Last qns, I seriously can't solve!

If you thought a bit more about what I posted you should have picked up on what to do. What values of x can you choose so that you eliminate the P(x)?

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can also include exponents, but not division or square roots.

2. How do I solve a polynomial?

To solve a polynomial, you must first arrange it in standard form, with the terms in descending order of their exponents. Then, you can use various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or long division to find the roots or solutions of the polynomial.

3. Can a polynomial have more than one solution?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple solutions. The number of solutions is equal to the degree of the polynomial. For example, a quadratic polynomial (degree 2) can have up to two solutions, while a cubic polynomial (degree 3) can have up to three solutions.

4. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2. The degree determines the number of solutions a polynomial can have.

5. Can all polynomials be solved?

Not all polynomials can be solved using traditional methods. Some polynomials may have irrational or complex solutions, which cannot be expressed as a simple numerical value. In these cases, the solutions can be approximated using technology or other methods.