How Do You Calculate the Polytropic Process Index 'n' in Thermodynamics?

In summary, the problem asks to determine the polytropic process index 'n' from the given initial and final condition parameters of the air in an air compressor cylinder. The law of the process is stated as pV^1.3 = constant. After using the equation p1V1^n = p2V2^n and the given values, the answer obtained is n = 1.3. However, the tutor's response suggests that the answer should be "just above 3 and a bit", which seems to contradict the given equation and values. Further clarification is needed from the tutor.
Jebbadiah

Homework Statement

"Determine the polytropic process index 'n' from the initial and final condition parameters of the air (gas) in the air compressor cylinder."

Im struggling with this question on my thermodynamics coursework and was wondering if anyone could help me out a little bit.

Homework Equations

Im using the equation p1V1^n = p2V2^n and the values I am given are:

p1 = 1.6 bar
V1 = 0.04m^3
p2 = 11425608.39 Pa
V2 = 0.0015m^3

It also says the law of the process is pV^1.3 = C

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I am getting is n = 1.3 but my tutor says its wrong and I am not sure where I am going wrong as I am using the same equation as i used for my mock assessments and its basically the same question just with different values and my mock was an expansion where this is a compression.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you working in terms of natural logs?

Jebbadiah said:
p1V1^n = p2V2^n

What units of pressure are you using here?

Show your working.

NascentOxygen said:
What units of pressure are you using here?

Show your working.
The units don't matter because the equation is dimensionless.

$$\ln{P}+n\ln{V}=\ln{C}$$So
$$n=-\frac{\Delta (\ln{P})}{\Delta (\ln{V})}$$

Chestermiller said:
The units don't matter because the equation is dimensionless.
It does matter if poster mixes the units as given.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
It does matter if poster mixes the units as given.
Very true.

Last edited by a moderator:
P1V1^n = P2V2^n
1.6 x 10^5 x 0.04^n = 11425608.39 x 0.0015^n
0.04^n/0.0015^n = 11425608.39/(1.6 x 10^5)
26.67^n = 71.41
log 26.67^n = log 71.41
n log 26.67 = log 71.41
n = log 71.41/log 26.67
n = 1.3

Thats the working as i worded it on my assignment.

I also spent a good 3 hours going over example questions online yesterday regarding polytropic process and was correct on them all so its just this question that is throwing me out. My tutor says the answer I am looking for is "just above 3 and abit".

Thanks for the responses.

I haven't verified your maths. I've gone back to your opening post.
It also says the law of the process is pV^1.3 = C

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I am getting is n = 1.3 but my tutor says its wrong
Have I understood this correctly: your textbook gives you the problem, but also provides the answer? Their answer is 1.3, and your answer is also 1.3. But your tutor says you and the textbook are both wrong because your tutor's answer is close to 3?

I get n = 1.3. If your tutor says n = 3, you need to get a new tutor.

Likes Jebbadiah
This is the question I am given, I've got answers for part a its just part b I am struggling with.

"A compressor used in tyre fitting workshop is used to inflate commercial vehicle tyres to a high psi. The cylinder piston reciprocates and draws air in through an inlet valve and out via a discharge vale at a high pressure. During the cycle a quantity of air is compressed polytropically in the closed valve position. The law of the process being pV^1.3 = constant.

At the beginning of the process, the air has a volume of 0.04m^3 , a pressure of 1.6 bar and a temperature of 12oC.

a) At the end of the process, the volume of air is 0.0015m^3. Treating the air as a perfect gas, and as a reversible process calculate for the air in the cylinder:

(i) the mass

(ii) the final pressure before he discharge valve opens

(iii) the final temperature

For air, R =287 J/kgK

b) Determine the polytropic process index 'n' from the initial and final condition parameters of the air (gas) in the air compressor cylinder."

If you're still getting 1.3 from that information maybe i need to ask for a second tutors opinion as this question is stopping me getting distinction which is what I need.

Cheers guys

NascentOxygen said:
I haven't verified your maths. I've gone back to your opening post.

Have I understood this correctly: your textbook gives you the problem, but also provides the answer? Their answer is 1.3, and your answer is also 1.3. But your tutor says you and the textbook are both wrong because your tutor's answer is close to 3?

My tutors response to my query was:

"Okay some tips!

Its all down to the maths answer is over 3 and a bit

iTs a merit question from memory that's why its harder than the others

Have a valiant go!"

The guy gives you a problem in which ##PV^n=C## for the process, where n = 1.3, and then asks you to determine from the results of the calculation what the value of n is. And, somehow he expects it to come out something different from 1.3. What planet is he from? Then he reveals that he posed the problem based on his (possibly faulty) memory. He ought to be ashamed of himself for wasting your valuable time.

Likes Jebbadiah
So what would you suggest I should do?

Jebbadiah said:
Refer him to us and see if he is up to the challenge.

my tutor also sent me this message regarding question one a while ago:

"Hi Andy

Task 1 the formulas to use are

P2/P1 = (V1/V2)^n

n=1.3"

So he's basically said himself that n = 1.3

Jebbadiah said:
my tutor also sent me this message regarding question one a while ago:

"Hi Andy

Task 1 the formulas to use are

P2/P1 = (V1/V2)^n

n=1.3"

So he's basically said himself that n = 1.3
Another option is to ask him to present his solution on Physics Forums.

Jebbadiah said:
I looked for the expected range of n. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/compression-expansion-gases-d_605.html says
The polytropic process can be expressed as

pVn = constant (3a)

or

p1V1n = p2V2n (3b)

where

n = polytropic index or exponent (ranging 1 to 1.4)
If this is true, then a value of around 3 would seem way off, anyway.

This is the question I am given
This problem statement you then quote doesn't give a value for P2, you are required to calculate it using n=1.3. WHEREAS in your opening post, you seemed to be saying the problem statement provides both P1 and P2 and from these you are required to deduce n.

It does seem that part (b) is redundant, as you must inevitably arrive at n=1.3 since that's the value you're using.

How many moles did you calculate? Perhaps your tutor was referring to n, the number of moles of molecules? :wideeyed:

I had to to find p2 in part a of the question using the equation P2/P1 = (V1/V2)^n, where i was told by my tutor that n = 1.3. I got an answer for p2 as 11425608.39 Pa, which my tutor has marked as correct. Then in part b "Determine the polytropic process index 'n' from the initial and final condition parameters of the air (gas) in the air compressor cylinder." I am using P1V1^n = P2V2^n to find n and getting n = 1.3, which is what he has already told me. but for some reason he is saying its incorrect. so surely if my answer of 1.3 was incorrect then that would also mean that my answer for p2 is incorrect as I've used 1.3 for my value of n. Hence why I am super confused by it.

please post the answer for part (a)

What is the Polytropic Process Index?

The Polytropic Process Index is a thermodynamic concept used to describe a process where the temperature and pressure of a gas change simultaneously.

How is the Polytropic Process Index calculated?

The Polytropic Process Index is calculated by taking the ratio of the change in pressure to the change in volume raised to the power of the ratio of the specific heats of the gas.

What is the significance of the Polytropic Process Index?

The Polytropic Process Index is important in thermodynamics as it helps to describe the behavior of gases during a process where both temperature and pressure change. It is also used in the analysis and design of various engineering systems.

What are the assumptions made in a polytropic process?

The main assumption made in a polytropic process is that the gas behaves in an ideal manner, meaning that it follows the ideal gas law and there are no energy losses due to friction or heat transfer.

Can the Polytropic Process Index be negative?

No, the Polytropic Process Index cannot be negative as it is a ratio of two positive values. It can, however, be less than one or greater than one depending on the specific heat ratio and the direction of the process.