1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polywell exhaust system

1. Aug 27, 2013 #1
    Hi could someone please tell me the Bussards polywell reactor helium exhaust system design.
    Like what is the model how did he planned to achieve it and if possible some explanation?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't think he ever got that far.

4. Aug 28, 2013 #3
    Well after Bussards death another one of his former colleagues carried on on his work and the polywell design.As much as wikipedia has to elaborate on the subject looks like they have been given some funding again from government more specifically the navy.
    Well the funding might not be huge but it's still money and I kinda doubt that they would just give off money to a thing their experts think has no chance of ever being useful or even sane according to physics laws etc.?

Ok he (Bussard) may not have got that far but maybe you or someone else has a clue how exactly such a helium exhaust system could function in such a device?

5. Aug 28, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure. I think they just catch the alpha particles as they fly out of the plasma. And that's just if they are using aneutronic fuel. If they use standard D-T fuel then they don't even need to do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook