Rate at which Sun converts mass to radiation

In summary: There are plenty of physics textbooks listed in there, so you can check them out and see which one suits your needs. In summary, the conversation is about determining the rest mass lost by the sun every second for emission of radiation. The solar constant is used to calculate the amount of energy emitted per second, and the sun's surface area is used to determine the total energy emitted. The Stefan-Boltzmann law is used to calculate the emittance for 1 m^2, and the result is then converted to the total energy emitted by the sun. Finally, the rest mass lost is calculated using Einstein's equation, taking into account the speed of light. The conversation also includes a recommendation for finding a good book on studying the physics of matter
BRN
Hi folk, i need an help for this esercise.

1. Homework Statement

Determines the rest mass lost by the sun every second for emission of radiation. It assumes that the surface temperature of the sun is 5700 K and the diameter ##D_s=1.4 × 10^9 m##.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solar nuclear reactions generates helium fron Hydrogen. Part of the mass involved in the reaction is lost by eletromagnetic radiation emission. Energy is emitted in the form of gamma fotons and fast neutrinos.
The amount of energy at all wavelengths that at each second strikes perpendicularly a m2 of a surface exposed to solar radiation, takes the name of the solar constant and his value is ##C_s=1.36*10^{3}[W/m^2]##

If I consider the sun as a sphere of radius ##D_s/2##, its surface is:
##S=4\pi(\frac{D_s}{2})^2=6.1575*10^{18}[m^2]##

The total energy emitted fron the sun in all directions is:
##E=C_s*S=8.3742*10^21[W/s]=8.3742*10^21[J]##

Then, I determine the rest mass lost by Einstein reletion:
##E=mc^2 \Rightarrow m=\frac{E}{c^2}=9.3177*10^{4}[kg]##

but the solution is ##4.10×10^9 [kg/s]##

Someone could help me? Thanks!

EDIT: The post title is wrong. How can I change it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you used the solar constant on Earth when you should have been using the one on the surface of the sun which is way higher. I would suggest you work with the 5700K and work out the Energy from there

Likes Bystander and TSny
BRN said:
EDIT: The post title is wrong. How can I change it?
What would you like it changed to?

gneill said:
What would you like it changed to?
I changed it yesterday after I moved the thread; it used to be about the "cohesive energy of argon."

Likes gneill
They gave you the temperature expecting you to treat the sun as a blackbody. You have probably been taught a formula for the radiance of a blackbody.

Looking up the solar constant probably wasn't the expected approach, but you can get there that way. The solar constant is the radiance at 1 AU. If you know how the radiation falls off with distance (and I bet you do) then it is simple to scale that value back to the surface of the sun.

Likes BRN and Carlos PdL SdT
Sorry for the delay, but were difficult days...

Yes, I verified, the solar radiance constant is referred at 1AU radius, and using this data instead of the radius of the sun all adds up.
If, however, consider the sun like a blackbody, the irradiance is:
##R=\frac{c}{4}u(\epsilon ,T)##

with ##u(\epsilon ,T)## states density.

But the density of states as it is calculated?

If, I use the balckbody states density:
##u=\frac{1}{V}g_sg_{ph}(\epsilon)[n_E]_B\epsilon=\frac{1}{\pi^2\hbar^3c^3}\frac{\epsilon^3}{e^{\frac{\epsilon}{k_BT}}-1}##

with ##g_{ph}(\epsilon)=\frac{V}{\pi^2\hbar^3c^3}\epsilon^2##

I get ##R(\epsilon, T)=0##...

Last edited:
How do you get this?

There is an easier formula for the total electromagnetic emission. You don't have to integrate anything that way.

I simply reported blackbody equations that I have on my book.

My reference book is the "Manini - introduction to the physics of matter" and I admit that it is the worst book in which to investigate these things ...

What formula are you speaking?

The Stefan–Boltzmann law is sufficient here.

Likes BRN
I don't have Stefan - Boltzmann law in my book...

At any way, if i use this law, I have:

##q=\sigma T^4=5.9855*10^7 [W/m^2]##

with Stefan - Boltzmann costant ##\sigma=5.6703*10^{-8}[W/m^2K^4]##

I'm confused...

In the exercise test, there is the sun diameter too. What is this good for?

BRN said:
In the exercise test, there is the sun diameter too. What is this good for?
Looking at the units of a given constant can be insightful.

Note the m2 in the denominator of the units for σ. The implication is that it involves a measure of area. So the constant relates the energy emitted in Watts from a surface of some area at a given temperature... Now, how might you determine the area of the surface in question?

Likes Carlos PdL SdT
Ok, the Stefan - Boltzmann law is referred at ##1 m^2##. With the units I have no problems, but with the values ...

From Stefan - Boltzmann law I get the emittance for ##m^2## unity:
##q=\sigma T^4=5.9855*10^7 [W/m^2]##

The Sun surface is:
##S=4\pi(\frac{D_s}{2})^2=6.1575*10^{18}[m^2]##

then,

##E=q*S=3.6855*10^{26}[W]=3.6855*10^{26}[J/s]##

From Einstein equations I have:
##E=mc^2 \Rightarrow m=\frac{E}{c^2}=1.2293*10^{18}[kg/s]##

I miss a pass, maybe from q to E.

BRN said:
I miss a pass, maybe from q to E.
Try from E to m. You didn't square c.

Likes BRN
OH DAMN! When I make these mistakes would kill me! :H

Now it's all ok!

Do you recommend a good book for studying the physics of matter? (not too difficult :wink:)

BRN said:
Do you recommend a good book for studying the physics of matter? (not too difficult :wink:)
I don't have any particular recommendations myself, but you can ask in the Science and Math Textbooks forum.

1. How does the Sun convert mass to radiation?

The Sun converts mass to radiation through a process called nuclear fusion. This process involves the fusion of hydrogen atoms to form helium, releasing a huge amount of energy in the form of radiation.

2. What is the rate at which the Sun converts mass to radiation?

The rate at which the Sun converts mass to radiation is approximately 4.26 million tons per second. This means that the Sun converts about 4.26 million tons of mass into energy every second.

3. How is the rate of mass to radiation conversion affected by the Sun's size?

The rate of mass to radiation conversion is directly proportional to the size of the Sun. This means that a larger Sun will convert mass to radiation at a higher rate compared to a smaller Sun.

4. Does the rate of mass to radiation conversion change over time?

Yes, the rate of mass to radiation conversion changes over time. As the Sun ages, it will eventually run out of hydrogen fuel and start to fuse heavier elements, which will change the rate at which it converts mass to radiation.

5. How does the rate of mass to radiation conversion impact the Sun's energy output?

The rate of mass to radiation conversion directly impacts the Sun's energy output. As the Sun converts mass to radiation, it releases a tremendous amount of energy, which is what makes the Sun shine and provides heat and light to our planet.