1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pond evapouration

1. Jul 17, 2011 #1
    I have a fish pond which may have a slight leak. Or not - maybe the water is just evaporating. Searching it seems there is not simple way to calculate how fast water will evaporate. So suppose I put a glass beside my pond and measure how far the level of water in the glass has fallen in - say - 24 hours. Say this is D mm. If it is only the surface area of the water that matters then presumably the pond should have fallen by D mm as well. Is this method likely to be successful?

@xts. Floating glass is a good idea - the po9nd is 3500 liters so its temperatuerew would vary much less than a glass, but floating glass should solve that. Will have to be tethered as there is a waterfall.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2

xts

It should work. But I would recommend to put the glass partially sunk in your pond, to keep it in the same temperatura as a pond water has and in the same wind conditions.

ADDED>>>
    If you have any water/swampy plants (e.g.canes) they may evapourate more water than pond surface. That may be really difficult to include in the analysis.

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3
    Assuming no leaks, a waterfall can be a noticeable contributor to evaporation I've found especially if it's wide enough and direct sunlight hits it. My brother's waterfall was made of 5 paving type slabs arranged in stairstep fashion and had direct sunlight on it.When I turned it off the water level reduced over time much more slowly...it was thoroughly checked for leaks and found to be ok beforehand. You could do two test periods , one with the waterfall on and another with it off and see if there is a significant difference but be mindful of humidity and rainfall variations over the test period.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook