Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pontiac - the end of an era

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes but for some reason, they kept crashing into things.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Holy cow! Two superchargers, one on top of another? Seems a little much.

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Technically that is a supercharger and a superdupercharger. :biggrin:

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Glad to get the precise engineering wording.

7. Feb 20, 2009 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have the next to the last Pontiac Firebird made, 2001, the Evo child wanted it, then had a love/hate relationship with it. Thanks to the dealership, the engine was ruined (they pretended to not realize oil wasn't getting to the engine despite the number of times I had it towed in).

I'm replacing the engine, I get people looking me up from the VIN on the dash and making me offers for it quite often. Should be a classic someday. (I hope). It had all of the bells and whistles.

8. Feb 20, 2009 #7
    i wonder if that effects visibility.

one blower is enough i think... power is easy. traction is the problem. same issue i have with my car lol

9. Feb 20, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In spite of my dedication to issues of the environment and energy, I really LOVED muscle cars. One of my first cars was a Buick with a 440 cubic inch engine. I could spin the tires for the better part of a block!

There was one guy across the street who built a muscle car. He worked on it evenings and weekends for two years and spent a small fortune in the process. In addition to an emaculate paint job and body work, he put a monster of an engine in this thing... He also installed N2O injection. Having finally finished it late on a Friday night, he got up early on Saturday so that he could make a trial run on the freeway when there was little to no traffic. At something like 6AM he jumped on the freeway and took it up to 80mph or so. Then, after about ten minutes he kicked in the N2O injection. A moment later he was aware of the rear end coming around but remembers little beyond that. The car was totaled. It had not been insured yet.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  10. Feb 20, 2009 #9
    that's a drag car. only good for one thing, dang fast in a straight line. that's why it's got big slicks on the back and skinny tires up front. visibility is not a problem.

11. Feb 20, 2009 #10
    i got a nice muscle car for ya ;)

0512phr_dodg_01_z.jpg
    0512phr_dodg_09_z.jpg
    0512phr_dodg_13_z.jpg
    0512phr_dodg_14_z.jpg
    0512phr_dodg_17_z.jpg
    0512phr_dodg_18_z.jpg

i have plenty more. i grew up around this stuff, i LOVE it. still prefer 4/6 cyl engines with a sophisticated TT setup. or, turbo and supercharger ;)

12. Feb 20, 2009 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that yours? Beautiful!!! Tell us all about it.

13. Feb 21, 2009 #12
    nooooo, it aint mine. i wish i could afford a 2million dollar custom built challenger. i have a whole bunch of custom protouring cars. that just happend to be my favorite!

i drive a supercharged cobalt. nothing special. haha

14. Feb 21, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

My buddy has a 340 Duster, and has been the national champion in his class a couple of times. He's just a mill-worker who spends all his spare time tweaking his ride. Back when he and I got acquainted, he was divorced and living in a trailer, and he was constantly borrowing my Dremel tools, etc, to work on his engines. Eventually, he got situated well enough to buy the tools that he needed, arrange for modified parts to be shot-peened to harden them, and get custom-machining (crank-balancing, etc) done by a machine-shop owned by a guy who eventually became a friend of mine (entirely unrelated - we both collected Winchester lever-actions) and whose business was centered around rebuilding engines for commercial fishermen.

Google on "Steve Clukey" to see what he's been up to. His Duster is still at 340 ci displacement and is producing at least 700 HP. Aside from running aviation fuel instead of pump-gas, there is nothing exotic going on. Lots of head-work, tweaking of intake manifolds, etc. I found out from him 20+ years ago that if you want to move masses of air and fuel into an engine very quickly, the intakes need to be rough enough to induce micro-turbulence along the boundaries so that the turbulence acted like bearings to speed the mass of the flow to the engine. Not bad for a guy with a high-school education.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  15. Feb 21, 2009 #14
    How does he manage to run aviation fuel in a spark ignition engine?

16. Feb 21, 2009 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I believe turbo is referring to avgas which has higher octane rating than commercial automobile gasoline. Avgas is type of gasoline, and is used in aircraft piston engines, as opposed to kerosene based aviation fuel which is used in turbines.

17. Feb 21, 2009 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the point of these cars to look impressive or for street racing?
    Wouldn't a Mitsubishi Evo / Subaru WRX with a 2.5L 350-400hp engine, AWD and sports suspension go faster for less money?

Or am I completely failing to get the point?

18. Feb 21, 2009 #17

Are you referring to a car like the dual supercharged Pontiac? Cars like that are used to compete in bracket racing. They typically make between 1,000 and 2,500 horsepower and run between 6 and 8 seconds in the quarter mile. It's a completely different category of racing with plenty of money to be made.

19. Feb 21, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

physics trivia: Why do race cars use wide rear tires?

Note the equation for friction.

20. Feb 21, 2009 #19
    Answer: It is only an idealization that friction is independent of surface area. That model works well for Billy pushing blocks with a force of 40 Newtons, but not very well for an air-inflated rubber tire generating over 10^4 Newtons of static friction.

21. Feb 21, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How is it different? I don't see a range cited on the equations for friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook