Pontiac - the end of an era

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
My first car was a 68 Firbird 400. I loved that car...yet sold her to make a profit...and regret it to this day.

That might be why my father's 1971 1/2 TransAm (with the small bird on the nose - original decal package) with a 455 and working ram air is still parked in his garage. They only made about 1,200 of them...and it's a beast.

I received my first speeding ticket (skidding uphill) at 96 mph in 1978 in that car. Even though I pulled over and waited for the highway patrol to catch up, the judge suspended my license for 3 months...those were the days.

The car has an automatic transmission, which not everyone likes. But, when the ram air is used, at full throttle the car shifts out of 1st gear around 95 mph and seems to lunge forward. It doesn't shift out of 2nd until about 138 mph. I'll never know the top end limit (and neither will my son who will never know any of this).

The suspension was designed to accomodate the power. I've never driven anything (including a Porsche 928) that compares.
I don't think I'd want an automatic sports car, especially nowadays. Whenever I see a automatic corvette or something like that, I think... "what a waste"

turbo

Gold Member
I don't think I'd want an automatic sports car, especially nowadays. Whenever I see a automatic corvette or something like that, I think... "what a waste"
If you have ever launched from dead-start in an automatic posi-trac Firebird of that era you'd be pretty impressed. I never had the $$$ to burn up tires that way, but I didn't mind going along for the ride when I was young, dumb, and (well, you know).

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
If you have ever launched from dead-start in an automatic posi-trac Firebird of that era you'd be pretty impressed. I never had the $$$ to burn up tires that way, but I didn't mind going along for the ride when I was young, dumb, and (well, you know).
Oh, with older cars I'm sure it was fine, but like I said, nowadays I would think that's dumb.

You can better use your power through a standard. I'm sure the standard Sunfire I'm driving now can beat most automatic vehicles on the road simply because I can redline it, and stay in the top end of the RPM range. Automatic transmissions can do that, but it takes a second or two for the computer to realize you are slamming the pedal and what to push the RPM range higher. Those 2 seconds are precious when it comes to acceleration.

For the last 20 years, pontiac has one ugly hunk of junk after another. I am glad they are gone, and its long overdue. I hope a few others go down with them, like buick.

Let other smaller companies with better products fill the gap that will be left behind when these giant companies selling junk go bye bye.

Hello new American Car companies. (These are cars that make me proud as an American!)

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Last edited:

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What happened?! What do you mean... used to!?
Oh, I loved my WRX. I second-guess myself all the time about switching to a more commuter-friendly car. It was a standard transmission (as all fast cars should be!) and it was a real pain in stop-and-go traffic. But get it on a nice, curvy road and WOW :!!)!

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
For the last 20 years, pontiac has one ugly hunk of junk after another. I am glad they are gone, and its long overdue. I hope a few others go down with them, like buick.

Let other smaller companies with better products fill the gap that will be left behind when these giant companies selling junk go bye bye.

Hello new American Car companies. (These are cars that make me proud as an American!)

http://www.teslamotors.com/
I agree that GM sucks, but you can't compare affordable cars with sports cars. Seriously.

I agree that GM sucks, but you can't compare affordable cars with sports cars. Seriously.
The four door car in the background is a family car. Also, pontia sells sports cars, so yes I can compare them. Seriously.