Goodbye to Pontiac: The End of an Era for American Muscle Cars

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Pontiac is being phased out and the conversation discusses the love for muscle cars and the desire for powerful engines. Some individuals mention owning or knowing someone who has a muscle car and the modifications they have done to increase its horsepower. There is also a discussion about different types of fuels and how they affect the performance of the engine. The conversation also touches on the purpose of these cars and whether they are used for looks or for street racing. Overall, the conversation centers around the love for powerful engines and the nostalgia for muscle cars from previous eras.
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes but for some reason, they kept crashing into things.

Holy cow! Two superchargers, one on top of another? Seems a little much.

turbo-1 said:
Holy cow! Two superchargers, one on top of another? Seems a little much.

Technically that is a supercharger and a superdupercharger. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Technically that is a supercharger and a superdupercharger. :biggrin:
Glad to get the precise engineering wording.

I have the next to the last Pontiac Firebird made, 2001, the Evo child wanted it, then had a love/hate relationship with it. Thanks to the dealership, the engine was ruined (they pretended to not realize oil wasn't getting to the engine despite the number of times I had it towed in).

I'm replacing the engine, I get people looking me up from the VIN on the dash and making me offers for it quite often. Should be a classic someday. (I hope). It had all of the bells and whistles.

i wonder if that effects visibility.

one blower is enough i think... power is easy. traction is the problem. same issue i have with my car lol

In spite of my dedication to issues of the environment and energy, I really LOVED muscle cars. One of my first cars was a Buick with a 440 cubic inch engine. I could spin the tires for the better part of a block!

There was one guy across the street who built a muscle car. He worked on it evenings and weekends for two years and spent a small fortune in the process. In addition to an emaculate paint job and body work, he put a monster of an engine in this thing... He also installed N2O injection. Having finally finished it late on a Friday night, he got up early on Saturday so that he could make a trial run on the freeway when there was little to no traffic. At something like 6AM he jumped on the freeway and took it up to 80mph or so. Then, after about ten minutes he kicked in the N2O injection. A moment later he was aware of the rear end coming around but remembers little beyond that. The car was totaled. It had not been insured yet.

Last edited:
that's a drag car. only good for one thing, dang fast in a straight line. that's why it's got big slicks on the back and skinny tires up front. visibility is not a problem.

i got a nice muscle car for you ;)

0512phr_dodg_01_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_09_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_13_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_14_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_17_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_18_z.jpg
i have plenty more. i grew up around this stuff, i LOVE it. still prefer 4/6 cyl engines with a sophisticated TT setup. or, turbo and supercharger ;)

offtheleft said:

Is that yours? Beautiful! Tell us all about it.

Ivan Seeking said:
Is that yours? Beautiful! Tell us all about it.

nooooo, it aint mine. i wish i could afford a 2million dollar custom built challenger. i have a whole bunch of custom protouring cars. that just happened to be my favorite!

i drive a supercharged cobalt. nothing special. haha

My buddy has a 340 Duster, and has been the national champion in his class a couple of times. He's just a mill-worker who spends all his spare time tweaking his ride. Back when he and I got acquainted, he was divorced and living in a trailer, and he was constantly borrowing my Dremel tools, etc, to work on his engines. Eventually, he got situated well enough to buy the tools that he needed, arrange for modified parts to be shot-peened to harden them, and get custom-machining (crank-balancing, etc) done by a machine-shop owned by a guy who eventually became a friend of mine (entirely unrelated - we both collected Winchester lever-actions) and whose business was centered around rebuilding engines for commercial fishermen.

Google on "Steve Clukey" to see what he's been up to. His Duster is still at 340 ci displacement and is producing at least 700 HP. Aside from running aviation fuel instead of pump-gas, there is nothing exotic going on. Lots of head-work, tweaking of intake manifolds, etc. I found out from him 20+ years ago that if you want to move masses of air and fuel into an engine very quickly, the intakes need to be rough enough to induce micro-turbulence along the boundaries so that the turbulence acted like bearings to speed the mass of the flow to the engine. Not bad for a guy with a high-school education.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Google on "Steve Clukey" to see what he's been up to. His Duster is still at 340 ci displacement and is producing at least 700 HP. Aside from running aviation fuel instead of pump-gas, there is nothing exotic going on. Lots of head-work, tweaking of intake manifolds, etc.

How does he manage to run aviation fuel in a spark ignition engine?

Mgt3 said:
How does he manage to run aviation fuel in a spark ignition engine?
I believe turbo is referring to avgas which has higher octane rating than commercial automobile gasoline. Avgas is type of gasoline, and is used in aircraft piston engines, as opposed to kerosene based aviation fuel which is used in turbines.

Is the point of these cars to look impressive or for street racing?
Wouldn't a Mitsubishi Evo / Subaru WRX with a 2.5L 350-400hp engine, AWD and sports suspension go faster for less money?

Or am I completely failing to get the point?

mgb_phys said:
Wouldn't a Mitsubishi Evo / Subaru WRX with a 2.5L 350-400hp engine, AWD and sports suspension go faster for less money?

Are you referring to a car like the dual supercharged Pontiac? Cars like that are used to compete in bracket racing. They typically make between 1,000 and 2,500 horsepower and run between 6 and 8 seconds in the quarter mile. It's a completely different category of racing with plenty of money to be made.

physics trivia: Why do race cars use wide rear tires?

Note the equation for friction.

Ivan Seeking said:
physics trivia: Why do race cars use wide rear tires?

Note the equation for friction.

Answer: It is only an idealization that friction is independent of surface area. That model works well for Billy pushing blocks with a force of 40 Newtons, but not very well for an air-inflated rubber tire generating over 10^4 Newtons of static friction.

confinement said:
Answer: It is only an idealization that friction is independent of surface area. That model works well for Billy pushing blocks with a force of 40 Newtons, but not very well for an air-inflated rubber tire generating over 10^4 Newtons of static friction.

How is it different? I don't see a range cited on the equations for friction.

well, what you really want is static friction, not kinetic friction.

Ivan Seeking said:
How is it different? I don't see a range cited on the equations for friction.

If someone cited Hooke's law without any qualification, would that mean that it applies universally to all springs? Of course not.

Notice that the equations of friction do not apply to sticky tape, that is, they are only a good model for simple materials without stickiness. But there is stickiness between air-inflated rubber tires and racing tracks!

My buddy Steve runs huge slicks on his Duster and keeps them at no more than 4 psi most of the time to maximize the area of the contact patch. He had run smaller slicks for a while, but his quarter-mile times were inconsistent once he got the engine, tranny, and rear end hopped up to the point where the tires would break away and he would burn out at the line. Once he made the switch, he started pulling huge wheel-stands off the line and had to switch to front shocks with an extreme extension:compression ratio to avoid bottoming out and smashing his oil pan.

Last edited:
confinement said:
If someone cited Hooke's law without any qualification, would that mean that it applies universally to all springs? Of course not.

Notice that the equations of friction do not apply to sticky tape, that is, they are only a good model for simple materials without stickiness. But there is stickiness between air-inflated rubber tires and racing tracks!
And the stickiness increases exponentially when there are funny-cars and rails running at the meet, because they apply traction compound to the starting area.

offtheleft said:

0512phr_dodg_01_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_09_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_13_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_14_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_17_z.jpg

0512phr_dodg_18_z.jpg

i have plenty more. i grew up around this stuff, i LOVE it. still prefer 4/6 cyl engines with a sophisticated TT setup. or, turbo and supercharger ;)

I always think of those as "granny" cars. :rofl: My grandmother had a Duster, some light green color. When she totalled that car, I think it was a red Dodge Daytona she got after that.

I'm glad to see them cutting car lines though. It's ridiculous to keep selling all those crap cars nobody wants. The old Pontiac's might have been worth having in their hey day, but they're pieces of junk nowadays. Saturns have always been pieces of junk. I don't really know how they ever got off the ground with Saturns in the first place. I only knew one person who ever owned one, and it was one of the worst cars I've ever been in, and had no lifespan whatsoever. I guess they appealed to people who didn't like negotiating car prices, because that seemed to be the whole gimmick, that they didn't negotiate, which never seemed like much of a selling point to me (I guess I'm a better haggler than that).

confinement said:

Why do race cars use wide tires? :biggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56486

Moonbear said:
I always think of those as "granny" cars. :rofl:

That was the sudden realization that I had when I first got my driver's license: Granny had a hot car! My grandfather was a mechanic who liked big engines. And back in those days, the bigger the better!

mgb_phys said:

its for novelty, man. my car would walk passed an evo or an sti. but, for an evo: enjoy replacing the clutch every 25-30k miles. their tranny is WEAK as hell. and one of the biggest cop magnets EVER. an sti: some thing breaks, good luck affording the fix. and good luck affording the built to get any where near 400+ hp. to get passed that youll need to rebuild the engine completely and get at least a dominator 3 or a gt35r turbo. it would probably cost over 17k without labor. only thing those cars have on a drag strip is the AWD. but get a flat or anything of the sort and have fun dealing with the drive train ware and the cost to fix it.

as for those nice muscle cars/custom built pro touring cars. it would probably never see a drag strip. probably never sees a road. theyre for looks, aws, novelty and respect. because those cars could probably do a 9 second pass.

my car will probably do a low 13 second pass on street tires. toyo proxies t1r to be specific. but, I am aimed at taking turns. and, if you want to make power, rock the highways and put a ripple in the Earth with enouth torque to jump start a dead planet.

HAP stg3 R32: 400 AWHP / 500 AWtorque.
or... a toyota supra. half of them have over 800 rwhp theses days and could see 200+ on a daily basis.

to answer your question in another way. no, its not cheaper to make anything fast. dealing with a huge V8 or a high output inline (or in the sti's case H) four cylinder. especially new "muscle cars"

the pontiac G8 comes stockwith something like 400 HP. the new GTO. any non ford mustang: cobra, roush, saleen. all close to 12 second cars stock. add some cooling mods and upgrade the forced induction and youre set.

it all costs money and in no way is it cheap at all.

These are for drag races then, not circuits or just speeding?

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDD RIDDANCE!

I absolutely hate how Pontiac ruined their name brand of classic muscle cars with ugly trash for the last 15+ years. I hope they don't come back.

BARF

http://www.carforums.net/reviews/makes/pictures/pontiac12.jpg [Broken]

BARFFFFF

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/I/S/2007_pontiac_solstice_gxp.jpg [Broken]

VOMITTT

2008.pontiac.g6.20132241E.jpg

GARBAGE

5OD.jpg

MY EYES!

http://image.motortrend.com/f/editorial/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/8441157+cr1+re0+ar1/2008-pontiac-g6-gxp.jpg [Broken]

Why won't you die?

http://www.automotiveblogger.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/pontiac_aztec.jpg [Broken]

Go away pontiac, pleaseeee.

...hey look a REAL car!

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/mseries/m3coupe/2007/allfacts/design/_shared/img/aerodynamic.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys said:
These are for drag races then, not circuits or just speeding?

the images of cars posted, yes. but even when they were stock they didn't handle very well. maybe with the right suspensions and larger wheels to accommodate better braking, they could road race, but they'd still be big and heavy and need lots of horsepower.

Cyrus said:
...hey look a REAL car!

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/mseries/m3coupe/2007/allfacts/design/_shared/img/aerodynamic.jpg [Broken]

cyrus, i like your style.
2180647568_36e0be6ed1_o.jpg

straight lines and turns, this car does it all:

3065446383_21db4d72ea_b.jpg

zjcwva.jpg

Zr1... drooool!

this car is for show:
DSC_2606.jpg

and this car is for go:
1413434.jpg

another GT3 for good measure.

6gamqa9.jpg

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I always think of those as "granny" cars. :rofl: My grandmother had a Duster, some light green color. When she totalled that car, I think it was a red Dodge Daytona she got after that.
Depends on whose granny, I guess. My grandfather bought my grandmother a brandly-new Buick Electra 225 to wean her off her speed-addiction. She had been driving a Buick Wildcat, and she was getting stopped over and over again. She never got tickets, because my grandfather ran a 24-hour towing service as well as his heavy-equipment mechanic business, and all the cops knew him and her, but the troopers were warning him that Angie was going to end up in a wreck, someday. The tickets never got written because my granny always got up as soon as the phone rang in the night, started coffee, and started making a whole loaf of sandwiches. Nobody knew who long they would be out on wrecker calls, and she was always equipped with food and thermoses of hot coffee to keep her husband and the cops going. My mother didn't want me riding with her, even in the bigger, heavier car. The 225 had an audible alarm when you exceeded a certain speed. My granny kept hers set at 80 because she "didn't like to listen to that thing go off" - top speed limits here even on the major roads never exceeded 60 mph. It took most people 30 minutes to get from Bingham to Skowhegan. One time when we were on a parts-run for my grandfather, we made it in just over 20 minutes. "Little old lady from Pasadina" indeed.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
She had been driving a Buick Wildcat, and she was getting stopped over and over again.

That was my Granny's car! The first time I drove it I could hardly believe it. This is GRANNY'S car?

Ivan Seeking said:
That was my Granny's car! The first time I drove it I could hardly believe it. This is GRANNY'S car?
The early '60's Wildcats were real muscle-cars. They weren't real affordable or popular, but they were real tire-screechers. My grandfather loved that machine and didn't want to sell it off, but he didn't want to lose his wife in a wreck, so he bought her the 225 and tucked the Wildcat in a back storage space so that she'd have to run the "Deuce and a Quarter" instead. My father had his eyes on that Wildcat... it seems that I am descended from thrill-seekers and speed-demons and that may never change.

<h2>1. What is the significance of the end of Pontiac's era for American muscle cars?</h2><p>The end of Pontiac marked the end of an iconic era for American muscle cars. Pontiac was known for producing high-performance, affordable cars that appealed to a wide range of consumers. The discontinuation of Pontiac meant the loss of a beloved brand and the end of an era for American muscle cars.</p><h2>2. When did Pontiac officially discontinue production?</h2><p>Pontiac officially discontinued production in 2010. However, the brand had been in a slow decline for several years prior to this due to financial struggles and changes in consumer preferences.</p><h2>3. What were some of Pontiac's most popular muscle cars?</h2><p>Pontiac produced many popular muscle cars over the years, including the GTO, Firebird, Trans Am, and Grand Prix. These cars were known for their powerful engines, sleek designs, and affordable prices.</p><h2>4. How did the end of Pontiac's era impact the automotive industry?</h2><p>The end of Pontiac's era had a significant impact on the automotive industry. It marked the end of an era for American muscle cars and the loss of a beloved brand. It also highlighted the changing landscape of the industry, with a shift towards more fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly vehicles.</p><h2>5. Are there any plans to revive the Pontiac brand in the future?</h2><p>As of now, there are no plans to revive the Pontiac brand. General Motors, the parent company of Pontiac, has shifted its focus to other brands and has not shown any interest in bringing Pontiac back. However, there is always a possibility that the brand could be revived in the future.</p>

1. What is the significance of the end of Pontiac's era for American muscle cars?

The end of Pontiac marked the end of an iconic era for American muscle cars. Pontiac was known for producing high-performance, affordable cars that appealed to a wide range of consumers. The discontinuation of Pontiac meant the loss of a beloved brand and the end of an era for American muscle cars.

2. When did Pontiac officially discontinue production?

Pontiac officially discontinued production in 2010. However, the brand had been in a slow decline for several years prior to this due to financial struggles and changes in consumer preferences.

3. What were some of Pontiac's most popular muscle cars?

Pontiac produced many popular muscle cars over the years, including the GTO, Firebird, Trans Am, and Grand Prix. These cars were known for their powerful engines, sleek designs, and affordable prices.

4. How did the end of Pontiac's era impact the automotive industry?

The end of Pontiac's era had a significant impact on the automotive industry. It marked the end of an era for American muscle cars and the loss of a beloved brand. It also highlighted the changing landscape of the industry, with a shift towards more fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly vehicles.

5. Are there any plans to revive the Pontiac brand in the future?

As of now, there are no plans to revive the Pontiac brand. General Motors, the parent company of Pontiac, has shifted its focus to other brands and has not shown any interest in bringing Pontiac back. However, there is always a possibility that the brand could be revived in the future.