Pool Ball Momentum Question

In summary: You can use this to eliminate v2` and find an equation for v2 in terms of v1. However, the solution you found earlier (v2 = 3.43 m/s) is still correct.
Kennedy111

Homework Statement

Mass of Cue stick : 595 g
Mass of White Ball: 170 g
Mass of Black Ball: 155 g

On the pool table, the white ball bounces off of the black ball and moves in the direction opposite to its original direction. If the speed of the white ball immediately after the collision is 3.13 m/s, then the speed of the black ball immediately after the collision is...?

Homework Equations

Σpi = Σpf

p =mΔv

The Attempt at a Solution

0 = (170g)(-3.13m/s) + (155g)(v)
532.1 = 155g(v)
v = 3.43 m/s

This is NOT the correct answer. Apparently the initial velocity of the white ball is not 0, but instead 3.13 m/s... I'm not sure how I find out what the final velocity of the white ball is, and without that information I don't know how to find the final velocity of the black ball... please help..

Physics news on Phys.org
On the pool table, the white ball bounces off of the black ball and moves in the direction opposite to its original direction. If the speed of the white ball immediately after the collision is 3.13 m/s, then the speed of the black ball immediately after the collision is...?
... cannot be determined: not enough information.

Your calculation appears to assume that the balls are rolling towards each other at the same magnitude momentum before the collision but the problem statement says nothing about this.
[edit] read some more ...

You found out the speed of one ball before the collision, and you have the speed of one ball after the collision ... still not enough information.

To do conservation problems start out by writing the heading "before", under that heading, sketch the "before" situation ... draw the arrows for the vectors in the proper directions and label them.
Under that, use the diagram to write out the before numbers ... in this case:
##\vec{p}_{i} = m_W \vec{v}_{Wi} + m_B \vec{v}_{Bi}##

Repeat for the "after" situation ... then write down ##\vec{p}_i=\vec{p}_f##

Then do the math.

Pool balls have extra physics that may be needed:
http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/Classes/MATH198/townsend/math.html

Last edited:
I think there's enough information if you assume that there are no energy losses, so that the total energy before and after the collision is the same.

The assumption of no energy losses would provide extra information... yes.

That was litterally all of the information they gave to me. In the answer though they have:
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1` + m2v2`
(170g)(3.13m/s) + 0 = (170g)(-0.147 m/s) + (155g)(v2')
v2' = 3.59 m/s

I really just have no idea where they got the -0.147 m/s

Kennedy111 said:
On the pool table, the white ball bounces off of the black ball and moves in the direction opposite to its original direction.
This is only possible if the less massive black ball is initially moving towards the more massive white ball.

Kennedy111 said:
In the answer though they have:
(170g)(3.13m/s) + 0 = (170g)(-0.147 m/s) + (155g)(v2')
v2' = 3.59 m/s
This answer seems incorrect. If the black ball initially isn't moving, then the white ball continues to move in the same direction, but at a slower speed.

Kennedy111 said:
In the answer though they have:
If only momentum is conserved there should be multiple possible answers. If there are no energy losses, then you have another equation:

1/2 m1 (v1)2 + 1/2 m2 (v2)2 = 1/2 m1 (v1`)2 + 1/2 m2 (v2`)2

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of momentum in the context of pool balls?

Momentum is a physics concept that describes the quantity of motion an object has. In the context of pool balls, momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and it determines how much force is required to change the object's motion.

2. How does the momentum of a pool ball change during a collision?

During a collision between two pool balls, the total momentum of the system remains constant. However, the momentum of each individual ball can change as a result of the collision.

3. What is the relationship between the mass and velocity of a pool ball in terms of momentum?

According to the equation for momentum (p=mv), the mass and velocity of a pool ball are directly proportional to its momentum. This means that a heavier ball with the same velocity will have more momentum than a lighter ball.

4. How does the momentum of a pool ball affect its trajectory after a collision?

The momentum of a pool ball determines how much it will change its motion after a collision. A higher momentum will result in a larger change in direction and speed, while a lower momentum will result in a smaller change.

5. Can the momentum of a pool ball be conserved in every collision?

In an ideal situation, where there is no friction or other external forces, the total momentum of a system will be conserved in every collision. However, in real-world scenarios, some energy is lost due to friction and other factors, so the total momentum may not be conserved.