1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pool Ball Problem

1. Dec 14, 2003 #1
    This is probably simple, so please excuse my ignorance, but it's bugging me.

I place the 8 ball in the center of a pool table. Then the 7 ball is place in the front of the table, say, 1 foot from the 8 ball for a direct line shot. I also place the 6 ball on the side, again 1 foot away for a direct side shot on the 8 ball.
    Two players hit the 6 and 7 ball towards the 8 at exactly the same time and with exactly the same speed and force. Lets say, 10 mph with 1 lb of force.
    Those two balls impact the 8 ball, and the 8 ball flys-off at a 45 degree angle(I think). Fine.
    But at what speed and force does the 8 ball travel? And what happens to the 6 and 7 ball after this impact?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2003 #2
    Supposing you hit the two ball's exactly in the center, they would both stop dead in their tracks when they hit the 8 ball. As far as what velocity the 8 ball would travel at, you can look at it its Velocity as a magnitude, being the sum of two vectors (one ball being horizontal, and one being vertical). Hope this is correct...

-Jason

4. Dec 14, 2003 #3
    This question makes no sense. A ball doesn't travel with force.

I agree with Jason's answer. The 8 should go off at a 45 degree angle to the initial velocity of either ball with speed v*sqrt2 where v is the initial speed of the 6 ball.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?