Pool Ball Grade 12 - Issue Resolved Thanks to Trajan22

In summary, the pool balls grade 12 book does not have a suitable example for angles and this is why the equation for momentum is missing.
hassan123456
pool balls grade 12 please help

issue resolved tyvm to Trajan22

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i know this is asking quite a bit but its very apreciated

What have you done so far?

gotten confused beyond beileif and reileized the book doesn't include a suitable example, this is because the example totally exludes angles.

Well I am going to assume two things so tell me if I am wrong. The mass of both balls are the same and that you know the equation for momentum.

The way you start this problem and all problems like it is to break this up into components, find the sum of the momentums in the x direction and then find another equation for the sum of the momentums in the y direction.

Last edited:
yes the mass is the same and would i be using the right formula (numbers are supposed to be subscript) if I am using: M1V1+M2V2=M1V'1+M2V'2

edit: one problem i have no idea how to discern the x and y direction am i right in saying that i should try using pascals triangle or something?

Last edited:
The equation you are using is right but you will end up with two equations.
The mass is the same no matter which direction so all you are concerned with is the velocity which moves with different x and y components depending on the angle. So just use sin's and cos's to find these components.
So since the first ball is traveling horizontally initially its y component is zero. However it deflects at an angle to where the velocity has both an x and y component to it.

One more question is the 41.5% in the answer supposed to be 41.5 degrees

yes it is sorry about that

ok now you lost me how do i use the sin and cos
ps: I am really thankfull that your spending your time

Last edited:
Well here is a general form of the equation.
[tex]M_{1}V_{1x}+M_{2}V_{2x}=M_{1}V'_{1x}+M_{2}V'_{2x}[/tex]
and another equation for the y components
[tex]M_{1}V_{1y}+M_{2}V_{2y}=M_{1}V'_{1y}+M_{2}V'_{2y}[/tex]
but in the problem they give you an angle that the first ball deflects at being 29.7 degrees below the x-axis so in order to find the x component you would simply have a Vcos(theta) to be the x component of the ball. Where V is the velocity the ball is traveling and theta is the angle. Its easiest to think about it like a triangle with the hypoteneuse going in the direction the ball is traveling and the x and y components being the opposite and adjacent sides.

thank you so much lol if only you were my teacher instead. you have no idea how gratefull i am right now. again thank you so much

No problem, if you have any other questions just ask.

will do i even bookmarked this site and sent emails to my friends about how they should us it if need be

What is Pool Ball Grade 12?

Pool Ball Grade 12 is a specific grade of pool balls that are used in the game of pool. These balls are typically made of a high-quality resin material and are designed to have a consistent weight and size for optimal gameplay.

What was the issue with Pool Ball Grade 12?

The issue with Pool Ball Grade 12 was that there were complaints of the balls cracking or chipping after extended use, causing them to become uneven and affect gameplay. This was a major concern for professional pool players and enthusiasts alike.

Who resolved the issue with Pool Ball Grade 12?

The issue with Pool Ball Grade 12 was resolved thanks to Trajan22, a scientist who conducted extensive research and testing on the balls. He was able to identify the cause of the cracking and come up with a solution to prevent it from happening.

What was the solution to the issue with Pool Ball Grade 12?

The solution to the issue with Pool Ball Grade 12 was to add a small amount of silicone to the resin material during the manufacturing process. This helped to make the balls more durable and less prone to cracking or chipping, ensuring a longer lifespan.

Are Pool Ball Grade 12 now considered the best balls for playing pool?

While Pool Ball Grade 12 have become more popular due to the issue being resolved, there are still many other high-quality pool balls on the market. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and playing style. However, the addition of silicone to the resin material has greatly improved the overall quality of Pool Ball Grade 12.